Dust

Everything had gone downhill since your father passed away. It started off with you becoming quiet and distancing yourself from people. At first they didn't mind, they understood that you were going through a grieving process so they gave you the space that you asked for.
Over the few months that followed his death, you stopped talking to your boyfriend, Derek, more and more until you had pushed him away completely. You missed him and you wanted to be near Derek but at the same time you didn't want him to pity you.
Some days you stayed in bed until the sun went down because you simply didn't see the point in getting out of bed if you were just going to end up going back to sleep. You'd acknowledged that what you were doing wasn't healthy but you couldn't stop.
Something was holding you back from doing normal day to day things. Eventually you picked up another unhealthy habit; not eating enough. Some days you didn't eat at all, simply because eating didn't appeal to you anymore. Everything tasted like dust to you.
It was as if almost everything in your life had turned to dust since the passing of your father. Growing up you were closer to him than you were to your mother; he was the one to teach you how to ride a bike or take you out to the movies. Your mother was always working, you understood that.
The dust pilled up around you, causing you to loose grips on friendships and relationships that you thought you loved. It wasn't that you didn't love them ; it was that you didn't feel love anymore.
Almost every day Derek came around to your house, knocked on your door ten times before sliding his back down the door and waiting there for a few hours. You felt bad for leaving him out there, especially on rainy days, but you weren't ready to see him.
One morning you woke up and sleeping beside you was Derek. Looking around, you noticed that your bedroom window was open. Derek had clearly had enough of you not talking to him so he climbed in through your window as you slept.
Derek was warm and you were cold so you shuffled closer to him and rested your head against his chest. Everything about you had become weak, not only your bones but your ability to keep pushing people away.
"Y/N," Derek mumbled, waking up and turning to face you.
"Don't," You said softly, knowing what was coming.
"Your scent is different," Derek stated, "You haven't been eating, have you?"
You didn't say anything, feeling horrible about how much you'd ignored over the past couple of months. Tears started running down your face, falling onto Derek's shirt beneath your face.
"Everything's going to be okay, Y/N," Derek said, pressing a kiss to your cheek. "I promise. I'll make you some soup, we'll start out small, okay?"
"O-Okay," You stuttered, finding the will to stop crying.
Derek's arms wrapped around your waist, holding you closely to him as he kissed your cheek again before he got up and left to make you some soup.