2 // Damon

Turning to look at the door, I stay standing beside mum as the boy calmly steps inside of the house.

He's.... not what I expected him to be.
At least, not the 'weird ass white boy' I had imagined.

The boy had very sharp facial features. With a sharp jawline overseen by the lights above us, he had dark brown hair, short on the sides but longer on top. Enough for him to hand comb through it as he walked in. Indeed, he was attractive, what can I say.
But... is that a real leather jacket he's wearing?

Wow, I think, What a cliché 'bad boy' vibe coming from him already

"This is Damon" Michael, seemingly annoyed, introduces his son. Yet he doesn't make any proper eye contact with either of us. Only ever so slightly smiles with a nod and keeps himself to the side.

"Hi Damon", smiling wide, my mum reaches out a hand for him to shake, which he does, "I'm Michelle. This is my daughter Jo Lee. I think you're both the same age?"

And again, that 'friendly' nod of his.

Weakening her smile, she attempts to lift up the atmosphere by walking us over to the dinner table, already neatly arranged with food dishes all around. As it was a table for only four people, I sat next to mum, her facing Michael and I facing Damon.

Well, here goes another shitty dinner.

|

Hypothesis was legitimate.
Dinner was shitty.

Mum and Michael babbled away the entire meal. I can't even recall what they talked about.
Politics?
The lovely weather today?
The color mum painted the walls?

Damon, on the other hand, nudged his food maybe five times at most and spent the remainder of his poor time on his phone.
He created this impression that he wanted to simply end this over with and dash out of here as soon as he could.

Who blames him?

Catching my attention, mum stands up from her chair to lay the dishes in the sink, while Michael glances around the living room and asks her how the decor was done. Leaving me situated in front of Damon, alone, the table now cleared out.

"Hey, Jo?", she calls me over the running water, " Can you please give Damon here a small tour of the rooms upstairs? Oh, and where his room is, too."

I see Damon sit frozen on the spot, jaw clenched.

Getting up from my chair, I brush my hair behind my ear, and say, "Sure. Uh, Damon?"

He murmurs something I can't quite hear and stands up straight. Which is exactly when I realize that he's, at least, a foot taller than me.

Hiding an impressed smirk, I indicate for him to follow behind me through the kitchen.
And while going up the stairs, I try my best to fill in the painful silence by telling him about the house.

"By the way, that second-last step on the top", I stop and point at the step in front of me, "See the one spot that looks like a spider? Yeah, that one. Don't be afraid of it if you're walking at night."

I laugh and turn to him, but the most he does is smile with the same poorly interested expression and look away.

"Anyways, your room..."

I bring him to the door at the end of the corridor, and open it, revealing the deserted square room in front of us.