29 // ...Fair

"The brother and sister pair Damon and Jo Lee?"

Groaning, I bow my head down into my hands while Damon looks on at what was going on, his arms locking me in place of where I was sat.
Did she even have to add the 'brother and sister' part?
Did she even have to say it without actually knowing what was really going on in this weird, kind-of-not-official family?

"Anybody know where they are?", she asks again, 'looking around'.

By now, I heard far too many gasps and turns of heads to us over here from afar already to realize they weren't 100% dumbfounded and clueless. Struggling to get up off my spot, I mutter curses under my breath, expect Damon doesn't allow me the freedom to go.

"Listen, I need to go explain to them what is really going on-"

"No, you don't."

"What do you mean, 'you don't'?"

"I mean, simply, you don't."

Completely terrified, I sit back and sigh.

"Damon. Those people obviously think we're some freaks, related-by-blood siblings who just made out in front of the entire school and now both of our parents will-"

"Oh, no, I know that. But all I'm saying is that it'll be better if you stay here for the meantime, and I'll be right back after....", he turns away from me to look over his shoulder at the people, slowly moving his hands from the table beside me, "Explaining some things."  

I watch him in panic when he calmly jogs towards the center of attention and slows down to a warning stop to tap Jennifer on her shoulder. She turns right around, grinning to all ears, even pulls my mum closer to her side while the rest of the students examine the scene like a crowd in a silent movie. 

"See? There he is!", she tells my mum, "And you were worried that you wouldn't be able to properly see your son around here. But now that we've found your son, why not find his little sister Jo? How about that, Michelle?" 

Worry rises fast in my chest.
Already coming up with ways to explain to everybody, my parents, my friends, the school, on how this was all just big, big confusion. But I stop when my mum politely gives in and stops her from walking away any further away.

"Actually, Damon isn't my son, dear", she smiles at Jennifer.

The girl plasters on another grin, "He's not?"

This some Dr. Phil shit right here

"Well...", my mum turns to place a hand on Michael's chest and softly laughs, yet to find out why the grade was watching her so closely, "I'm not sure if Jo told you, but Damon and she aren't siblings. Me and Michael here, Damon's dad, are not married yet, but we live together. Kind of like roommates, as you might call it, right?"

Staring back in awe, Jennifer slowly takes her hand of my mum's shoulder to pull it to herself.

The listening students all look at each other with 'huh?' expressions on their faces.
Damon gives up on even bothering to explain anything else as my mum pretty much did all the work already. 
And I'm sitting over here with anxiously-bitten nails and a worrying thought as to why my mum easily gave away that much information about our family.