44 // Love

Sighing as I stared up at the cloudy weather this summer afternoon, I glance at Damon beside me, who also thankfully thought laying on our house's rooftop to hang around was a fun idea. The cycle of him throwing a baseball up in the air above him and catching it when it got back down into his hands repeated itself close to a hundred times.

I face the clouds again.

"No one told me graduation would be one big depressing roller coaster that's fun at first but makes you feel sick after you get off", I state absentmindedly.

He catches the ball, looks at me, then goes back to throwing it.

"Because that way no one would look forward to it", he casually says, "And it's supposed to be some sort of a 'huge' part of our young lives, so telling the reality of the aftermath to it would ruin the whole surprise."

"But still."

"But still?"

I sit up to lean back onto my elbows, "But still. It's only a few weeks left until a new life starts for the both of us and in a completely different city, too. That's not quite the 'woohoo let's have fun being adults and find out what the hell taxes are' situation like it's shown in movies."

Catching the baseball for a final time, he looks at me in thought before putting it away to the side, "New city, new you."

"Don't even dare."

Grinning, he extends his open arms out to me, "Come 'ere."

I happily oblige and lay down with him, resting my arm on his chest as I comfortably snuggled up against him when he loosely wrapped his arms around me back. His familiar scent being a daily reminder to me of how safe I was with him. We stayed like that for another few minutes before he sighed.

"But in all seriousness, it'll be a hell of a depressing part of my life, too."

"Why's that?", I curiously ask.

"Well", he looks down at me, "Maybe because my girlfriend's gonna be living in not just a different city, but a different fucking country for University, how about that?"

I roll my eyes, "Come on, it's just Canada. Right next to the United States. Still North America. Nothing to stress about."

"But still...", he mimics my words to have me chuckle.

"You don't think that maybe instead of talking about sadness and darkness, we should talk about how oh-so-exciting it is to go to Uni?", I suggest.

He shrugs, "I guess the only thing I hope for is that New York won't be like the stereotypes people constantly joke about."

"You'll be fine. You have the magical skill of easily adapting to new places anyway like you did here", I hold onto him tighter as he twirls his fingertips through the loose curls of my hair, "As for myself, I hope Toronto will be an overall fun experience. Don't want to get my hopes too high up or anything. It can ruin the expectation."

He kisses the top of my head, "You'll be fine."

I didn't know if he could tell how sneakily I was avoiding the topic of us staying in contact as a supposed long distance couple later on, but I guess that was just something even I wasn't ready to fully discuss, especially knowing that it could be either the worst or best thing to bring up basically ever.