21 // Unexpected...

I throw my pen onto the mathematics textbook on my desk and sit back in a huff with crossed arms. Kandy, looking like a 50 shades of Grey teacher in her new glasses, only turns to see if I had already given up.

She takes down more equations, "Come on, Jo. You have, what? Five questions left?"

"Six", I mutter.

"Okay, six. It's just algebra, seriously, it doesn't bite."

I groan again.
She smiles at her copybook.

Whenever I glanced around the classroom, I instantly felt lucky to sit at the very back table, behind the tall bookshelf where nobody saw us. Especially with our math teacher who always sat at his desk, typing so loud, it concealed all whispering around the class.

I pick up my pen for the fifth time this lesson and write down the next 'finding x' question.

If Y wants to find her X that badly, why does it need our help?

Why does it need fractions?

Do fractions help track down your X?

"No bro, you gotta find the X axis first, that's what my mum told me about love."

Kandy taps my arm and I turn to her in a whisper, "Yeah?"

"You know the Spring Fair's coming up."

"Spring fair?", I ask, "Is it that day when our school gets us free food and forces everybody to participate in music concerts on the field?"

"It is."

My attention switches back to the textbook, "I'm not sure if I'll go this year."

"Why not? I think you should come, it'll be fun", she glances at my not even close to half-full page, "By the way, the answer to question 4 is 56, not 26."

"Oh, I knew that", I chuckle and search through my pencil case for the whiteout.   That is when I hear my name being, oddly enough, hissed by someone way in front.

"Jo."

Damon
How the hell do I keep forgetting he's in my classes?

And surely there he is, sitting at the front table of the classroom. With hand to cover his grin, even though his 'whisper' to me was heard by everybody. 

Yet he tries again, "Jo Lee."

I ignore the turn of heads to me from both Kandy and a few of the girls in class, hissing back, "What?"

"I need you", he hugs around the back of his chair with a pout, "I don't get one of the questions."

More heads turn to watch, so I cover the side of my face with my hand.
"Why me?", I ask when he was already seated by Jeremy, the lord of math.

His lips form a sudden grin with the damn dimples are on full show and counts on his fingers. 
"You're smart...", he looks up at the ceiling, ignoring the stares, "I don't get why Y needs to find her X so harshly, and I like you the best."