Chapter 5: Where's There's Smoke There's Fire (U)

Shadow and Ariana accompanied by their new companion Circuit were only a short distance away as the suburbs were now in view. Ariana saw the area “Shadow, Circuit is that the suburb area?”

“that’s right” said Circuit “that’s where we’ll find the fire boy”

“May I ask…who is this fire boy?”

well...I know only by reputation. He is considered a sage by some having spent a year studying on almost everything. Although what he studies…no idea. If anyone has any idea of what your searching for…he’s your guy. Now…I know I’m being naughty in prying into your personal but…what are you and tons of fun going there for”?

As Ariana opened her mouth, Shadow spoke abruptly “if you answer my question then we’ll answer yours”

“oh…” she said putting her hands to her mouth “did I ask something rude? Oh please forgive me…but do know if it’s personal…I’d rather avoid it”

“those guys…who attacked you yesterday…who are they? And who are they working for”

Circuit looked at his serious face “really?...that’s all you want to ask me?” he looked agitated which made her sigh “jeez…I’ve seen clocks less wound up than you. Fine. From their constant babbling, they were the employ of a…mistress. Whoever this mistress were…made them genuine afraid”

“so what?” said Shadow “they are just being cowards. I’m pretty sure three or four could overpower anyone on their own”

“it’s that which worries me” Ariana turned to her “Those men…had the fear of death in their eyes. Even I could see that. If you remember all of us teens…have powers which can do a lot of damage. You and that…glowing energy thing you have going on” he looked at her hand “and little o me” she displayed her blue lightning “with my…shock therapy” she put her hand “so…for three men…and from the sounds of it many others…to be scared of a single person…is quite worrying”

Shadow had other ideas “No…I don’t think that’s it there is to it” said Shadow “Even deer in sheer number can resist that of a wolf if they wanted to. However…if the deer are hindered in some manner…no matter the number the wolf will have priority” this made him think “now that I think about…not one of them displayed their power”

This comment made the two ponder especially Circuit “you’ve got a point there dark and handsome. Those brutes could have easily overpowered a defenceless girl, such as myself and, even a muscle man like you if they used their powers. They may have had the resilience of one of us but…not the power”

“yeah” said Shadow “they were beaten far too easily”

“okay…now I’ve answered your question…you answer mine. Why are you going to see the fire wielder?”

we’re going to ask him where the silver pillar is” replied Ariana

oh…now that is intriguing. Who better to ask that the fire dude. To be honest even I wouldn’t mind a hint or two”

“so…you don’t know a thing about it either?”

“nope dear…just two things. One, that is grants salvation…if that is even true and the second…is that we all search for it being more or less the same goal. Without asking anything personal, for you two it’s something along the lines of either, A to reclaim who we were or B to get off this land correct?” Ariana nodded but Shadow didn’t answer “don’t feel like answering?” he just nearly grunted “if your lips get any tighter…we’re going to need butter and a crowbar” Ariana just giggled at this comment