Chapter 32: The Thread...That binds us all

Shadow and company were walking through the strangely new but empty city. The skyscrapers looked to be made out of shiny marble as they seemed glisten in the faint light of the world. The roads looked to be made of new tarmac as now a single, bump or indent even existed. The stone pavements looked freshly laid and the buildings looked ready built for people to live in. Julia was looking between the buildings "does anyone else...I don't know find this creepy"

"What do you mean?" asked Luxe

"well...something seems...off about this city. If we can call it that. Something just doesn't...feel right"

"I've noticed it too Julia" said Shadow "this town seems...too new"

"Now that you say that" said Ariana "I've can see it too. It's like...it was only just built. I mean...there's not even a...trace of age or wear"

"It's not the only thing that's strange about this town"said Sophia "if this town is ready built...why? It makes it look like...like"

"someone is coming to live here...right?" said Shadow to which Sophia answered with a nod

"Now I really don't get it" said Luxe scratching her head "I mean the world is practically dead. Who would come to live here?"

"I don't know Luxe but" he said looking at the large beacon which appeared only a mere mile from them "I know someone who does"

The group didn't have to travel far as they came to a large square open space. The area was covered in grass and trees, of a pale green while the beacon of light shone on a tall clock tower. As they stood before it, Shadow stepped forward "alright, come on out" the girls looked a bit confused "I now know the truth of which you speak of. The one thing that, now only has influenced this world, but has directed our actions. It could be called fate but...fate is an illusion. Nothing truly happens within reason, so come and answer me" Shadow looked up to the top to which a figure stood on the roof "Zodiac!"as he said the last word, the light suddenly vanished and the figure of Zodiac became visible.

 All the girls noticed him as  Zodiac looked down on them and smirked

"Nicely done" he then jumped down with an air of grace about him as he landed on the ground without much impact "you have indeed worked out...the hidden truth of this world"

"What do you mean?" asked Julia "what truth?"

"This world...isn't as real as you may think" said Zodiac "all of you here, have been guided throughout this world...by the pathways which have been left to you. The pathways however were dark and without end, so...someone had to be guiding light to bring you all out of the darkness. Answer me this, what is the one thing, that you have all have in common? For those who are here...and those that aren't?"

None of the girls could answer straight but then Ariana turned to Shadow "Shadow...he means you...doesn't he?" to which Luxe then thought

"all the people we've met, and one that aren't here...all had you in common"  she said making the other girls realise

"so...the one that guides us out of the darkness" said Sophia "is Shadow"

"Ironic...isn't it?" said Shadow simply "which is...the common factor in this world" Zodiac turned to him

"so...you have worked it out"

"Yes I have but...only a portion. The full truth I still don't understand"

"Once you have proved to me you know of the secret of this world...I will in-part everything to you"

Shadow stepped forward and turned round, facing all the girls. "girls...there's something, you all have to know. This world as Zodiac said...isn't as real as it's made out to be...in terms of the people who inhabit this land. We all stripped of her identities, memories, even our names" Shadow pulled out his picture "even who we used to be but...we each kept a small portion of who we used to be. In the form of a memento...or memory...and this is how I'll start. Sophia" he said looking at her "you a gentle and caring girl, with the power over the cold and sharp harshness of ice. Two things already in opposite. You are the big sister of a family, just as you are with us"