Chapter 33: Two Paths...One future

Shadow and his friends had finally reached the end of their journey. They had travelled vast miles, fought many fights of both physical and mental nature. The survivors once many have now dwindled. Through hardship, basic survival and fighting many of the survivors have perished to a mere six. The six consisted of Sophia, Luxe, Julia, Ariana, Shadow…and the one responsible for the whole affair Zodiac.

Zodiac, the lone survivor of this dead world, is an ageless young man who has endured years of loneliness due to the real divine rain. Shadow and everyone else were sent to the future in the hopes that Zodiac could find a worthy candidate. He placed everyone in this ruined world to find the one person he felt would govern the new world he had envisioned. He wanted to erase the past and guide a new world free from negative feelings however Shadow thought otherwise.

Shadow refused to forget the past and wanted to give everyone a chance. He hated the fact everyone had perished for the sake of a single person, be it him or anyone else. Zodiac however simply told him that mankind would repeat the same mistakes but Shadow retorted that a person can’t control the world. And so…this is where they stand. They each had the same starting path, the same goal and motive…but each arriving at a different end. Zodiac angered by Shadow’s choice has challenged him to combat trying to make him change his choice…and this is where the story begins his big conclusion.

Shadow stood ready against Zodiac who had a strangely plain expression. Shadow was a little reluctant to fight “Zodiac…we don’t have to do this”

“Yes we do” he said plainly “it’s obvious your mind has been tainted by these people. It’s my own fault for not guiding you. I’d thought you wouldn’t stray but I was wrong. Still…your unwavering faith has interested me. If you truly believe your will is stronger…than overcome my will…and prove your choice…is the best!” with that Shadow rushed forward and began attacking. Zodiac looked unflinching as he simply deflected the blows and punched Shadow backwards.

Shadow flipped in the air and landed. He rubbed his chin and narrowly managed to avoid Zodiac’s attacks. Shadow managed to block his attacks and then punched Zodiac, however he barely flinched. Zodiac grabbed Shadow’s arm, who struggled, and moved it out of the way before sending along the ground with a strong kick. Shadow quickly recovered and flipped off the ground to his feet. He was breathily slightly heavily as he shrugged off the hits “jeez this guy isn’t fooling around. I guess I’d better turn it up” he clenched his hands, to which his body glowed yellow.

As he glowed he charged right back at Zodiac. Zodiac had more difficulty blocking his attacks and so had to hit Shadow’s head-on with his own. Shadow eventually struck with a powerful kick and although Zodiac had blocked, he was pushed back by a few feet. Zodiac “You are definitely much stronger since the last time we…sparred I’ll say” Shadow relaxed himself for a moment “back then, you were under the dominance of your evil counterpart”

“Zodiac, how did you know...which one to pick? I mean, Neo was determined and full of confidence so…why did you pick me?”

“You are right. Neo was full of confidence, power and self-belief. In terms of power he was much greater at the time but…it was his own ego and arrogance that ruined him. He believed since he was strong, he was already the perfect being and that was his downfall. If you believe you’re already the strongest, that’s your limit right there. Anyway let us continue”

Shadow tensed his body and produced an energy blast which he threw at Zodiac but he merely deflected the blast away. Shadow then began rapidly firing one after another but Zodiac just continued to swat them away. All the girls were watching from a safe distance away from the fight. Julia, Ariana and Kimbra were all cheering for Shadow, sending him words of encouragement “come on Shadow” “you can beat him” “beat Zodiac”  Luxe and Sophie watched in worry however