Chapter 15: The Breakdown

Allison was so shocked when Elle broke the news to her. With everything going great with Kerr, her decision puzzled her so much. Nevertheless, she helped Elle to put the house for rent in the Ashburnham News.

Kerr continued his visit until Friday night. They are sitting by the fountain. Elle is so quiet.

"I have to go Kerr." Kerr thought she wanted to go to the washroom so he started wheeling her away. "Will you stop? "

Kerr was confused. "What is it Elle?'

"I want us to stop this charade."

"What charade?" Elle is not helping the situation.

"This! Your visits...like I'm a patient or something!" Elle said angrily.

"Elle...I'm more than happy to do this for you!"

"Why? Tell me why you're doing this?"

Kerr was at loss for words. Why is she asking him this?

"I know it. Don't you think that I don't know why you're here almost everyday?

Feeling of guilt isn't it? Do you expect me to believe that you're doing this out of love?" Elle is already crying.

"Come on Kerr! I'm not stupid! I only lost my leg!"

"Elle, I'm doing this because I love you and you know that."

"Hah! Really Kerr? You can't even love me honestly before when my limbs are complete!" Elle said sarcastically. "Alright... I'm going to tell you now what I know all along."

Elle told him in between sobs the first time she saw him with someone. She saw them in his bedroom 

window when she dropped off her lovenotes in his mailbox. She did not think of anything at first. 

Then she saw her again, driving his Outlander when she met up with Allison. When he ignored her on 

her way to school and she thought he just didn't see her. She made up all these excuses for him

 because she trusted him that much. Until that fateful evening at the lantern festival when he thought

 no one was watching and kissed Carrie. That confirmed everything... that he was cheating all along. 

The days that they didn't see each other was not because of school but because of his new girl.

"Do you know how hurt I was that night when I saw you with someone else? The same feeling when my Mom died!"

"So don't make it harder for me please. I don't need your pity... or your guilt for what happened.''

Kerr is very quiet while his tears are flowing freely on his cheeks. He took all of Elle's outbursts 

because he knows that he deserves all of it.

"When you got hit by the SUV..."

"I tried to kill myself by going on the wrong side of the road.''

 He didn't even have to ask her.

"Oh my God! I'm sorry Elle...I'm really, really sorry." Kerr hugged Elle as both of them are crying.

Time stood still for how long... they both can't tell.