Chapter 27: Two Hearts

Time stood still while their hearts beat faster. Kerr was so conscious of her proximity: the smell of her hair, her breathing. Her hands on his back.

For Elle, his body close to her make her giddy. She can smell his cologne on his skin. His hands on her waist are gentle yet so tight that she felt even a strong force of nature won't be able to pull them apart. For her, their hug seemed to last forever.

Kerr held her face on his hands and looked at her inquisitively.

" I'm so happy to see you here in my old alma mater!"

How are you Elle?''

" I'm very well Kerr."

" You did not change a bit... the prettiest in Ashburnham Place." She blushed with this obvious compliment.

They talked for a few minutes until they realized that it was getting crowded where they were. Kerr invited her to Starbucks and she agreed.

They talked about everything that happened ever since she left Canada: the visit to her Dad in Masibis Bay and how that magical place helped her emotionally and later on, to decide in finishing what she had started. Kerr wanted to ask why she did not go back to their family home in Ashburnham Place but decided not to...some things are better left unsaid. He complimented her about volunteer works, artworks and photography but once again, hesitated to ask about Donnelley. He thought that he has no business asking about her personal life. He reminded himself about that boundary, now that they were no longer a couple.

" How about you? What are you doing here?"

" Oh, My company suggested that I take masteral credits for more leeway on my job but I'm not sure If I want to go that direction, although I really enjoy what I do for that village in Zimbabwe. I'm here for a three month vacation.

" You are now based in Africa?

"Yes. I got my posting after I finished university. My intention at first was just to gain experience but eventually, I fell in love with its people and culture...this is actually my 3rd year now."

"Wow... but don't you missed home though?"

"I do. Believe me when I say I missed a lot, not only my home but also...'' then he looked at Elle.

"But sometimes... leaving is your best option," quipped Elle.

" Yes... a very painful one at first but then you get to accomplish your goal at the end."

Both of them in agreement to that last statement which made them both silent for a  while..

The remaining time was spent talking about their experiences in the field that they chose. Someone who has no inkling of what happened to them in the past will assume something else; that they are starting a relationship. They looked much like a happy couple. Elle lost all her defenses while Kerr just followed the wind.

Chapter 28: Still

Allison was cooking dinner when Elle got home. She had a hard time reading her facial expressions today. She's kind of dazed and shocked at the same time.

" Hey! How's your day Elly-belly? Any news about your ex?"

" I actually saw him today, " Elle said as she sits on the couch.

Allison dropped the spatula on the counter top." Oh my God! Really? Where? Did he see you?' as she bombarded her with questions.

" Yeah...we actually had coffee... I think I screwed up big time today.''

" You just had coffee right? Just coffee?"

" Jeez Allison! Of course... we only had coffee. Gosh! You and your dirty mind!"

" Hahahaha! Its you who gave me this hints...like something happened between you two! So what happened?"

" Its just that we behaved like we were long lost friends. We talked and talked incessantly for the length of time that we were there.'' Elle became really quiet and said:

" I realized that we never had this kind of conversation when we were together."

"Elle, you were  just sixteen that time and he was nineteen..."

" He had so much to say to me.

I felt like we were catching up with time...time that we didn't have before and now, we couldn't have anymore."

Allison noticed Elle tearing up so she gave her a hug.

" You know girl... meeting up with an ex is always nostalgic and the same with everyone. So never think that whatever you felt was wrong. Because it is generic for all of us... male or female, between exes. There's this excitement for that meeting always after the break-up. Did he get better or  for worse?. But... there's really nothing to it except the ego at work."

Elle can't sleep that night. If there's really nothing to it, why am I recalling every words that he said to me, she thought. Like a schoolgirl... years ago ?