Chapter 49: Coming Home

The news from Nayou envigorated not only the Kingalis but Kerr as well. But it was not as easy as he thought it would be. The elders and the healers met up every night to discuss the safer route to Nayou, then to Canadian Embassy where Kerr they thought will be protected against harm until they can bring justice to the Kingalis. The night before their departure, the tribe gave Kerr a send-off ritual to assure him of a safe travel home. The women danced and cried as the engineer has become part of their lives for so many years. "I will come back one day to see you all, with the person who brought me back to earth. I'm sure she will love you, too as much as I have loved all of you, all these years, '' he said trying not to be emotional about his impending departure. He felt so strange to feel this way with people who are so different from him on day one of his arrival in their village. The affinity he has for them has grown into something comparable to being a family. The following night, the whole tribe including little children waved goodbye to Kerr while the women sang songs as Kuruku, their men and Kerr begun their journey. They walked and walked and walked.It was early dawn when they saw the big truck that will bring them to the blind man. After a long journey, they reached their destination. The blind man was with another man who asked Kerr questions. When he was satisfied he had enough information from him, he called up someone from the Canadian embassy. Kuruku and the men dropped him off after givng him hugs and blessings. The long wait is over. He is finally coming home.

The Canadian embassy became his home for a few weeks as he went through medical check-ups and video interview about what he witnessed in the massacre of the Kingalis. His family was also informed about this development. His parents were crying for this reunion over the phone. Kerr never saw this side of his parents as he was raised by them in a very formal way. When he called up Charlene, she was ecstatic, not emotional as he expected her to be, and overjoyed. " I knew you're alive! Elle felt you were somewhere but alive, too." The mere mention of Elle's name made him realized that he is finally home.