Chapter 32: Unbearable

Chapter 32: More Pain:

The past few weeks had been very joyful for Kerr as Charlene's arrival was instrumental for him to see and be with Elle frequently. It didn't matter to him if he just drove them around or ran errands for them... as long as he can see Elle... only to be drastically changed by this phonecall from his friend.

Donnelley called him up to break some good news.

"Hello Q!"

"Hey! How are you doing?"

'' Excited! I have good news to you!

I just got engaged buddy! Yahooo!"

This is what Kerr fears most, and now, it happened when it's least expected. But he knew that he just had borrowed time with Elle. That this will end. But is he ready for this to end?

"When?"

Two weeks ago Q! I'm so sorry if I didn't invite you..."

"No...really, it's alright." He went back to that time when he saw them on the road, the day that he saw them driving. The tons and tons of flowers in the car. They were beaming with happiness that day...and he should have known why.

"Lord, this is too much. Please help me bear this pain,''Kerr prayed in his thoughts.

To be told that Elle is getting married soon to someone else is surreal. He didn't even know that his tears has fallen one by one. Because despite their years of separation, Elle has never left his heart. All these years that passed by, it was always her. He has been saying that he'll be happy for her if she found someone else but how come he's hurting this way? He tried clearing the lump in his throat but he just couldn't... and it's starting to choke him. He mustered all the remaining courage in his body and said,

"Congratulations! You're very fortunate to find her Donnelly!"

Thanks buddy! But that's only half of the reason why I called you. I will be stationed in Costa Rica soon and I want her to be with me so we decided to get married in 3 weeks...and I want you to be my bestman...

Can you be my bestman Q?"

Can there be any more painful than to be the bestman on the wedding of the woman you always love? How will I tell you that I am dying every time you made me realize that Elle will be no longer part of me soon?

His tears just keep on falling while maintaining this façade as he talks to Don. He knew immediately that he can't be there during the happiest moments of their lives.

I wish to God that I can...but I just can't be a witness to the end of Elle's love for me. I can't do it!

"I really wanted to but I'm going back to Zimbabwe in 2 weeks."

"Oh. I thought you'll be here for 3 months?"

"I just received the news that rebels have started attacking our neighboring villages. My crew and I have to do a lot of fixing and reconstruction."

"Will you be back soon to visit us again?"

"That I'm not sure. I have to finish the project and after this attack, our timetable is screwed up. I'm expecting it will be lengthened to accommodate these changes. But I haven't really decided if 'I'm going to extend my contract or not. It depends I guess on how life will take me after my return to Zimbabwe."

Don thought he heard a sound of sadness in his voice. But Q was always like this... yeah, that's it. A chronic loneliness.

"That's alright then, but if something comes up, the offer is still yours."

"Thanks for considering me..."

Writers's Message:

This was hard to write for me. We all want a happy ending specially for Kerr who waited

patiently for this chance to be with Elle; moreover, that he's still the same Kerr who fall in love with

her years back. But the problem was, she didn't know this right?

A few more chapters and this saga ends. Please stay with me!