Untrusted Love - Chapter 17

Was he seriously going to talk to her. Allie thought she was seeing things, of course.

"Hi," Nick said when he got close enough to her.

She stared at him for awhile, not saying a word.

"Can I sit down?" He moved closer to a chair, waiting for her approval. She still didn't say anything to him.

"Allie?"

A fake grin appeared across her face. "Sure."

Nick smiled and sat down. He waited a few seconds to say anything. He stared at the sand then looked up at her. "How have you been?"

"I've been good." She tried to relax but she couldn't. It was Nick. She felt awkward. Things would never be the same. She still felt betrayed.

"That's good." He leaned back in the chair and relaxed. It was so easy for him to feel comfortable, He wasn't the one who was hurt. Allie nodded her head then looked away from him towards the ocean, not enjoying the awkwardness.

"Uh, I guess you've heard that me and Megan are dating?" He asked hoping she already knew.

"Yea, I've heard about that." She said apathetically.

Nick saw that she wasn't making eye contact. He had a feeling that she really didn't want him to talk to her. But maybe he could change that.

"Are you even going to look at me?"

"I don't know."

"Are you mad at me or something?"

"I don't know, Nick."

He stopped talking. He had nothing to say. No words popped up in his head.

Allie finally looked at him.

He was staring at her. "I miss you."

"Why are you even talking to me?"

"Because." He said.

"Because why?"

"Because I just want to. We haven't talked in, what? A month ever since you broke up with me. I miss you, Allie. It shouldn't be that hard for you to understand." He argued.

Allie gave him an awful look then quickly got up and started walking to the steps to leave the beach.

He got up and followed her. "Okay, I'm sorry. Yelling isn't a good way to start talking to you again."

She kept walking, not looking back at him. "You think?"

"Allie,"

She started walking faster.

"Allie, please."

"Nick, Oh My God! When will you understand that I'm tired of seeing you? I can't stand to be in the same room as you. And no matter how hard I have tried to get you out of my head, you always find a way to pop back in!" Her cheeks were turning read from anger. "I don't want to have anything to do with you. Breaking up with you was the best thing for you and me. Look where it brought you. You're happy now. You have a girlfriend. You're life is perfect. Don't worry about me. I can fix myself on my own. I don't need you anymore. You're just going to make it worse than it already is." She argued back at him. She made it half way up the steps before she felt him grab her wrist.

"No! I can't just let you walk away like this. You can't do that. You're not happy."

"Don't tell me how I feel, Nicholas!" She pushed him.

"I mean," He tried to fix his words. "I could tell that you were happy when you and I were together. I just have to know, are you happy now?"

She looked at him like he was crazy. She was mad because he told her how she felt. She had to get away from this situation.