Untrusted Love - Chapter 30

*"Allie." Nick asked.

"Yes, Nick?"

"Will you marry me?"

She gave him a blank stare. Not saying a word. Nick, not knowing what else to do, started to get nervous.*

Suddenly, Nick opened his eyes from his deep sleep, sweating. He looked around his room. His lamp was still on. He reached over to it and switched it off making the room go dark. He looked over at his clock.

"3:00 a.m." He says in his head. He looked over at Allie who was laying on her stomach on the far side of the bed away from him. He studied her for awhile then relaxed his head on his pillow and drifted back to sleep, hoping not to have the same dream again.

The Next Morning

"Nick."

He opened his eyes quickly. Allie was smiling at him. He looked over at his window to find the light shining through the closed curtains.

"It's almost 7." She rested her head on his chest.

Nick glanced over at his clock, 6:52am. He put his arm around Allie and started thinking about the ring he slipped into his dresser last night. 'Should I do it soon?' He thought. He kissed her forehead and pulled her closer to him.

"I love you." She looked up at him and smiled.

Nick rolled her over on her side so they were laying beside each other face-to-face. "How much do you love me?" He asked.

"More than I've ever loved anyone."

"Do you ever think about the future?" He rolled over on his back again. He wanted Allie to understand what he was trying to get out.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean," He looked at her then continued. "Us. Our future."

She stares at him for a few seconds.

"And not just tomorrow. Like the future. Not a week away. Not a month. A year though. Maybe two. Do you ever think that far into the future?"

"Uh," Allie stuttered. "No. I don't."

Nick looked away from her and stared at the ceiling. 'Now what?' He cursed at himself in his thoughts.

"I mean, I 've once thought about stuff like that." Allie moved closer to him and put her head beside his arm and held his hand, "I've thought about, you know, just you and me getting a little older. Then we get married, spend a year alone together then have a baby or two. Then we grow old together. But I knew that was way into the future so I never really thought about it again."

"No. That's what I'm saying." Nick sat up and looked down at her. "That's what I've been thinking about a lot. Everyday. Just you and me. The same thing you thought. I mean, not the waiting until we get older then get married, but yeah, the rest of the stuff, I've thought about it. I can't stop thinking about it."

Allie sat up too. "You don't want to wait?"

"Wait?" Nick asked, raising his eyebrows.

"Wait to get older until we get married." She stated.

"No. If anything, it's better to get married sooner instead of,"

Allie cut him off with her laughter.

"What?" Nick's face went blank.

"You're serious?" She stopped laughing.

"Yes." Nick said, confused.

"You're serious." She repeated her self then looked away from him.

"You actually think I would joke about this?"