Untrusted Love - Chapter 23

Nick started walking down the street faster because of the water around his ankles rising. Allie looked down and started to worry. "Nick."

"Yeah?"

"The water is getting higher."

"Here." He said while putting her down. "We can move faster this way. Come on." He took her hand and started jogging.

"Nick, slow down. I can't see where I'm stepping!"

He looked back. He could barely see her, and she was standing right next to him. The rain was pouring down hard.

"We have to get out of the rain!" She said.

"Okay." He agreed then quickly walked across the street and went into a small store. There were a few people in there getting out of the storm also.

"What's going on with the weather." A man  asked someone else.

"I heard on the news an even bigger storm is going to come through town." A old woman answered. "It's going to destroy the place."

Allie walked behind Nick as he went to the back of the store with her.

"Nick, what's going to happen?"

He looked out the window then said, "I don't know. But it doesn't look good." Soon it started to thunder and lightning. "Stay here. I'll be right back." He said.

"Where are you going?"

"Just stay here." He made it final.

Allie watched him walk away. She looked out the window when she saw lightning spark out of the corner of her eye.

"Excuse me Miss," A voice she never heard before spoke up. She looked around and saw a young man.

"Wow, hi." She tried not to blush. He took care of himself very well. She tried not to look at his incredible arm muscles.

He grinned a little then said, "I couldn't help but see that you were standing over here alone and I thought I would give you some company."

"Oh, um, sure." She smiled.

"What's your name?" He asked, winking at her.

Just when she blushed again and was about to say something, Nick came back with a cup in his hand.

"Here." He said, giving her the cup filled with strawberry icee.

The young man looked at Nick, and Nick looked at him.

"Oh this is my friend." Allie told the stranger. "I should have mentioned I wasn't completely alone." 

"Hey," Nick looked him up and down.

The stranger nodded his head.

He looked at Allie. "It was nice meeting you," He started.

"Allie." She said.

"Allie, nice meeting you." He smiled then walked away.

Nick glared at her. "Who was that?"

"I don't know." She looked back out the window then started drinking some of the icee.

"So some random guy just comes up to you and says hi for now reason?"

"Yes." She took another sip.

"Why?" He grabbed the cup from her hands and drank some for himself.

"I don't know. You tell me." She crossed her arms.

"How would I know?"

"Because that's what you did when you met me."

Nick didn't say anything to her after that. He couldn't argue because what she said was true.

"All of a sudden you're quiet?" She asked, snatching the icee out of his hands and drinking the rest for herself.

AN: I know this one is short but that's the way I wrote this chapter at the time. I would combine it with the next chapter but there was originally 30 chapters and I'd like to keep it that way.