Untrusted Love - Chapter 28

The next morning, Allie woke up early. She didn't know what Nick's dad was like sober. She wanted to know.

Nick only got three hours of sleep last night. He was worried, but wasn't sure why. He only hoped that nothing would go wrong.

Allie took her daily shower. She got dressed and put her face on, thinking about Nick half the time. Suddenly, her phone rings. She gets up from her make up desk and walks over to answer it.

"Hey." She said, recognizing Nick's number.

"Hey, I'm going to come pick you up in a few minutes. Are you ready?"

"Uh, yeah. I just have to get my shoes on then I'll be ready to leave."

"Great, I'm going to leave right now, so I'll see you in a little bit."

"Okay."

"Hey!" Nick said quickly.

"Yeah?" Allie giggled

"I love you." His voice was softer.

"I love you too." She hung up the phone then hurried over to her closet. She put her light green flip flops on, then rushed out of her room and down the stairs and waited outside for Nick.

Nick had just left his house and started walking up the sidewalk to her house. It was a warm, beautiful day. Nick wanted to ask his dad a question about something to do with Allie. How would he do it if she was coming along with him. He would have to think about it later.

He was staring at the ground as he was walking, which made him not see much in front of him. Suddenly, he bumps into someone. A man. Nick looks up. It's Mark. Mark stares at him, not saying a word. They both just look at each other.

What to say? They both wondered.

Nick steps up though. Says the first and last words he plans to say to Mark's face.

"Sorry." He walked around him without looking back.

"Nick?" He heard a voice coming from behind him. He stops walking, looks at the ground for just a second, then turns around.

"Me too." Mark says.

Nick glares at him for a few seconds, seeing that his face was very serious. Not a grin, no smirking. He starts walking back to Mark and stops in front of him and looks at him very closely.

"What did you say?" He asks.

"I'm sorry." Mark said again.

Nick blinks several times, steps back from him a little then steps forward again.

"Are you okay?" Mark asks.

"Yeah. I'm just shocked a little. Very shocked actually. Uhh,"

"You don't have to say anything else. I really am sorry. Everything I did... I never meant to,"

"Yeah." Nick nodded his head. "Listen, I'm sorry about the whole" He pauses, looking up at the sky then back at Mark, "fight thing the other day."

"Oh, I deserved that. I was a jerk. I deserved every punch."

"Yeah, um, I really should be going. My dad is in the hospital and I have to be there."

"Oh, alright."

"Thanks." Nick said before walking away again.

Mark went his way and Nick started walking quickly towards Allie's house again.

Allie was getting bored, waiting for Nick to show up. She stood up and walked off her porch then started walking up the street. When she got to the end of it, she looked in the direction Nick should be walking. She didn't see him.