Picking up the Pieces

It's been four years since everybody went their separate ways. Drew was seventeen now and had traveled most of the world. Competition, to competition, he and his Pokemon only got stronger. As did his eagerness to see May. He found himself dreaming of her each and every night. He woke up only to find it was fake, and every time he did, he only grew more anxious. He wanted to see her, badly. But he just couldn't. Not after what he did to her... He wondered what she was doing now. If he'd ever see her again.

"Mom! Is the mail here yet?" May asked her mother while running down the stairs. Sixteen-and-a-half maybe, but May's childish ways never changed.

"Yes, sweetie. Don't get your hopes up, you realize it's been four years. You may never see that boy again... I know you're still wishing you could see him again, but you haven't seen or heard from him for years. I don't think he's going to be sending any letters." Her mother answered sadly.

"But I can't just give up either. What if he's gonna come back soon? What if he wants to see me again? I can't miss a chance!" May said, cheerfully. Though on the inside, May was torn and completely sure she would never see him again. But she missed him so much, she couldn't help but have that little hope. She scurried outside and got the mail from the mailbox.

"Stop freaking out, May. He obviously doesn't like you anymore. He's not going to send..." She thought to herself.

She got the mail and walked back inside. Not even taking time to think, she laid it on the kitchen table and began looking through it.

"Oh my gosh..." May stared at the piece of paper in front of her, with the words Drew Hayden on it. "Mom..." She said, calmly.

"Yes?" Caroline looked at it. "Oh my! Well, open it!"

May tore through the envelope and read the paper inside. It read;
My dearest May,
I'm so sorry for what I did to you. I hope I can make it up to you. I need to see you. I'm dying without you. Slowly losing my humanity. You're haunting my dreams, calling out to me while I just stand there ignoring you. I'm still in love with you... I'll be in the Pokemon Center in Fortovia City of the Johto region on Tuesday morning at 7:00. If you want to travel with me in Johto, be there. If you don't... I'm so sorry and I understand.
~Drew Hayden

May stood in shock at what she just read. Her heart was pounding and her eyes watering, he still loved her. She had been waiting to have this feeling again ever since the day he left. Love. She felt it again.

"I have to see him... I have to go!" May ran up the stairs as fast as she could, tripping once or twice. She packed everything she needed into a bag and ran down the stairs.

"May dear, did you get your toothbrush? What about socks? It might get cold soon!" Her mother teased.

"Yes, mom!" May ran into the kitchen and have her mom a hug. "If I'm gonna be there on time I need to leave now. Tell dad and Max goodbye for me when they get back!" She said as she ran to the door.

"Will do, be safe! Goodbye!" Yelled Caroline.

"Goodbye!" May open the door and ran outside. "I just kinda wish I could drive there..." May said, looking at her moms car. She giggled and walked off.

She walked for a few hours but decided it was time to stop when she smelled good. "Ugh. I need to eat something..."

"May? Oh it is youuu!!" A voice waayy too familiar called.

May flinched, not wanting to turn towards where her name was being called.  "Harley....." Her eyes widened in fear.

"Hey!! Long time no see, sweetie! How've you been? And where's your little boyfriend? And when I say little, I mean little!" Harley asked, now in front of May.

Though May didn't like Harley one bit, she did giggle. He was right. Drew was so short! It was kinda cute...

"Harley I don't have time for you. Goodbye!" May ran away before he could say another word.