Chapter 2: "You're Lucky,"

Melody's POV:
My last class of the day is history. Probably the most boring. Were learning about Pearl Harbor. I already know what happened. I don't need to learn it twice. The only part I was interested in were the planes. I always liked planes for some reason.

The bell finally rang after what felt like forever. I didn't have the best day. It could've been better. I walked out of Mr. Johnson's classroom, hoping to just walk home. No interruptions. I just want to go home, run upstairs and ignore my dad. He's probably at the bar anyways. That's where he always is when I get home from school. I can't wait to move out.

When I get out of school, after I graduate, I want to get an apartment with Natalie and Jai. We've been talking about it for a while now. We would be worry free. And we could all pitch in to pay for it. It's the perfect idea.

I walked down the hallway to my locker and started stuffing books into it. I was having a great time. I looked over and saw Natalie walking towards me. I smiled a great big smile at her as she did the same. A piece of her blonde hair was tucked behind her ear as she walked. She was flawless. Why she chose me as her best friend? I don't know the answer to that question. I've always wondered.

"Hey Mel, how was your day?" She asked, running her fingers through her blonde locks.

I shrugged, "It could have been better," I explained, shutting my locker. She nodded.

We linked arms and began walking down the hallway to the doors to exit the building. I heard footsteps and then saw Jai standing next to me with a smile plastered on his face. Nat and I returned the favor. We all walked out of Williams High School together, as happy friends. Not a care in the world. Well, at the moment.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Riker talking to some random kid I've never seen before. He noticed us and ran over. I grinned as he approached us. He did the same. His smile is so hot. It's perfect. His shiny white teeth shown to me. Just adorable.

"Hey guys, need a ride home?" He winked at me. I slightly blushed. I was kinda used to it though, he winked at me everyday. Ever since we've met, he's winked at me at least once every day.

"Sure, I'll come. what about you guys," I answered, looking at my two friends on either side of me. They nodded their heads as we made our way to Riker's car.

I sat up front, Riker insisted. Jai and Natalie sat in the back. The blonde started up the car and the engine roared. He gently placed his hands on the steering wheel and put the car in reverse. He backed out of the parking spot carefully and then put the car in drive. And with that, we were on our way.

As we rode along, I tapped my fingers on the dashboard to the beat of the music. It was silent, other than the radio playing. I stared out the window at the beautiful scenery of woods. There was a creek and trees with bright green leaves. Little critters were scurrying around the woods. Squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks. There were also a few elegant deer that caught my eye. The all looked so free, frolicking around in the open. They looked peaceful as they grazed on the light green grass, without a care in the world. I saw birds flying from tree to tree making me wonder what it would feel like to fly.

As we approached Jai's house, Riker slowed down the car, coming to a complete stop. Jai hopped out of the car after thanking Riker and giving him a friendly handshake. I watch as Jai walked to his house, opening the front door, not having to worry about whether or not his abusive, phyco father was going to slap him as soon as he got in the door. I wish I had it the same way. Natalie and Jai are lucky. They have both their parents, that actually care about them. All I get is a man who enjoys making me miserable and needs a mental hospital. Even Riker has nice parents. Rydel tells me about how her mom takes her to the mall, and her dad will have father-daughter time with her. I wish I had that. But I don't.

After Natalie was dropped off, it was just me and Riker. It's was still silent, as if we had nothing to say, but I had plenty to say. I just don't have anyone to tell. Rydel doesn't know that my father is abusive. No one does. That's the only thing I haven't told her. I tell her everything else. Everything. I can't tell Riker, he won't understand. I feel like if I tell Rocky, he'll go crazy and beat my father to death. I mean, not that it would be bad, he deserves it. He's done it to me all these years. And if I tell Ryland, he'll care too much. He has such a big heart. I don't have anyone to tell. I can't tell Nat it Jai. Don't ask why, I just can't. I'm alone.

We arrived at my house. To be honest, it didn't look the same as it did when my mom was alive. I've never really observed it that well because I didn't care. After my mom passed, I didn't care. I don't know why I got up and breathed each morning. Why? It's not like I had anyone or anything to live for. Yes, I want to be a great success in life, but what's the point. No one likes me, no one ever will. Yeah, I have great friends and all, but it's not like anyone will miss me. Right?

"Thank you Riker," I said planting a soft kiss on his right cheek. He looked down with a shy smile on his face. He is way too cute.

"No problem," he replied. I waved to him before exiting his car. I began walking towards my house. I turned around and noticed that he hadn't left yet. He'd just been staring at me, focusing on me walking. I didn't mind.

I opened the front door with fear. I noticed that my father's car was here, meaning, he's not at the bar. That's somewhat unusual. I spotted no one in the kitchen. Okay, straight shot for the stairs, up to my room and lock the door. I slowly entered the house and gently shut the door. When I thought I got away with it, the door squeaked. Thanks, stupid door.

"Is that you, brat?" I heard his anger filled voice. I didn't say anything, I stayed silent. Anything I say, he'll slap me for, unless he's asking a question. In that case, if I don't answer the question, I get slapped. He calls it Tough Love. He doesn't love me, so it's just tough.

"Y-Yeah," I stuttered. I saw him enter the room. He looked disgusting. He had some weird stain on his shirt an his hair was a mess.

"Where were you?" He interrogated. His breath reeked of alcohol and tobacco. That's pretty much what he lives off of. I don't know the last time I've seen him take a sip of water.

"School," is all I respond with. He nods his head and turns around. As he exits back out of the room, he mutters, "You're lucky,"

That was close. I was in some deep crap right there. I raced up the stairs to my bedroom, but I didn't slam the door. He would get mad at me for that. I shut the door with care before quickly locking it and throwing my bag somewhere in my room. I plopped myself down on my bed.

And, that's what I come home to...