Chapter 12

Dedicated to Attia28, who picked through my whole book and commented on every chapter it meant the world to me. -Dedicated August 22, 2015

Chapter 12:: Time to open up

I had never poured my heart out before. I never realized how much I had kept bottled up, but James had learned more about me in thirty minutes then Kennedy got to know before I started school at Avalon. James didn't interrupt me he just listened intently as I had started from the beginning nodding his head ever so often to prove he was in fact listening.

"What do I do Mr.Parker?"
It had barley come out as a whisper as I felt so lost.

"Well Allie dear. I think you should talk to Reed. I know you didn't mean to hurt him, but you have, and you'll keep hurting people if you keep everything bottled up like this."
He placed his hand on my knee, before he stood up, and held his hand out to me.

"You're right Mr.Parker, and thank you I really needed this. I didn't realize how much I needed to talk to someone." I took his hand, and stood up.

"Please Allie call me James I think we are past the formalities now." When I looked him in the eye I had seen the same mischievous playful glint that I had seen in Reeds eyes so many times before. The similarities between father and son were just astonishing.

"Thank you James." I smiled and then sighed. "Wish me luck talking has never been my strong suit." James gave me a reassuring squeeze on the shoulder.

"Don't worry Allie. Gwen has made us some breakfast so after you and Reed kiss and make up we can all have a real family meal."

I blushed when he said kiss and make up, but a family meal sounded nice. It had been a while since my mom, and I had actually sat and had a family meal at a table. I guess it was just another painful reminder that we were broken, and dad wasn't there to hold us together. I gave a sigh pulling down my rumpled shirt and trying to fix my hair as I walked into the house. Why am I trying to fix my hair? There isn't even a point in that. I shook my head, as I followed James instructions to Reeds room. I gave a nervous knock on the door, and when it opened there stood Reed, all 6' 3" of him glaring me down.

"What do you want Allie?" Even as he said it I could see the look of concern behind his eyes. It almost made me smile. Almost.

I took a deep breath to collect myself, as I prepared for this confirmation. I had never been comfortable with things like this, but James words rattled in my head almost like he was saying them in my ear, 'Allie you need to open up otherwise you're gonna continue hurting the people you love.' I was thrown back into my thoughts. Wait the ones I love... Dose that include Reed? It couldn't possibly could it we had just met. Reed snapped his fingers in front of my face.

"Allie are you alright?" The worry was etched into his face now. I shook my head to clear it of my previous thoughts and took a deep breath.

"No Reed I'm not. I need to talk to you." As soon as I said this he practically flung open his room door and motioned me in. You would think that going into a teenage boys room would frighten me. Or at least the thought of going into a football players room would have frightened me, but it didn't. I would have been if I hadn't changed. I had become more confident and more sure of myself. I walked right in and sat down on his bed, where I had sat so many times before it seemed.

"Reed I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you. I'm just gonna tell you the truth. I'm scared that you might be different. It frightens me to know you are different then what I thought you were, and when my mom wanted to meet you I kind of freaked out."

Reed just blinked. I let out a breath I felt like a heavy weight had been lifted off of my chest. Reed took my hands in his.

"Allie I would be nothing less then a gentlemen at your house. My mom raised me to have manner's, and if she knew otherwise that I hadn't used them she would kill me. I think you know that so why did you freak out?"

I knew I had to tell him the truth, but it was hard I felt the words getting stuck in my throat. I took another deep breath. I knew that my panic had rooted into me, and part of the reason I didn't want to let Reed into my life... Even as just a friend was because I was scared he would be taken out of it. I sighed as I managed to form the words.

"I'm scared. The last man in my life was the one I was closest to he was like my best friend, and one day he never came back that's why I'm scared, and I've been pushing people away ever since then."

He seemed to mule over the words, before his expression clouded over with anger.

"You were hurt by another stupid guy?" He had missed my point completely. I face palmed, but the whole thing made me laugh. I needed something to break the heaviness that had been pressing down on me, and who would have thought it would have been the very one to cause the heaviness on me. Reed just looked so confused.

"Allie I don't think it's very funny that some guy hurt you." His concern made it easier to have the courage and the strength to continue.

"Reed I wasn't talking about just any guy. I was talking about my dad. He went to work that morning, but that evening he didn't come home. That had been the last morning I had seen him." My eyes clouded over the humor that had lit them up was seeping away. Reed wrapped his arms around me in what I could presume was a hug. I laid my head against his shoulder.

"I'm sorry Allie I didn't realize this ran so deep I wouldn't have asked." I felt myself release a breath I hadn't realized I was holding.

"Do you want to know how it happened?" I could tell he was hesitant for a few minutes.

"Allie you don't have to tell me."

The words tumbled out of my mouth before I could stop them.

"It's OK I've been holding it in long enough and somebody needs to know, and if that somebody is anybody I'm glad it's you."

He nodded his head, but didn't really say anything else.

"He was coming home from work, and was hit head on by a drunk driver."

My heart pounded even at the mention of it. Silence swept over me, and a strange sense of relif, and peace washed over me.

---------------------------------

I hope the speech was much less confusing and easier to read. This is my first story and I'm still trying to find an exact layout on how I like it, and how it'll be best to be written so it can be easier to read. Sorry also as this story probably has many errors, but take it easy on me as I try to become more accustomed to how I should write. ♥