56. School Fight

The next day was Wednesday, which meant we only had class in the morning. It was a good thing, considering the fact that I actually didn't want to talk to anyone. Still, Olivia really tried to cheer me up ; Diggy understood that I wasn't in the mood so he wasn't talking when we were together, but she convinced me to spend the afternoon with her, just the two of us, so that we go get our hair and nails done. It was true I hadn't taken care of myself since a while and I was probably gonna get bored alone at my house -even though I wanted to in a way- so I accepted.
When class ended, the three of us headed out while Olivia was talking about how it was crazy that now everything was more expensive, such as McFlurry's at McDonald's, or even nail polishes or clothes. Suddenly, I made a reflexion, forming my longest sentence since this morning.
"Wait, this is kinda weird..."
Olivia stopped talking and we all slowed down, as I frowned while observing around us.
"There's not a lot of people here, around the school's exit... Where is everyone ?"
"That's true..." Diggy approved.
We heard a lot of faded screams, like they were far away. We automatically followed the noise and turned at the left corner of the building, and a huge crowd was reunited in a circle. There they were, the missing students.
I stepped up to make my way between the people, and when I got to the front, my face changed from curiosity to anger. But all was visible on my face was disappointment.
Malcolm had his arm around Trevor's neck, but his shoulders were so large he didn't actually manage to strangle him, just to immobilize him a bit. Trevor, his back bent, was struggling while everyone was screaming. I couldn't believe they were all dumb enough to encourage them.
Trevor pushed on Malcolm's chest with his shoulder so hard that this one fell down ; Trevor took this opportunity to get on top of him and attack him. The crowd got even louder.
As he was punching everywhere he could, I heard a 'crack' and I winced. I kept watching, my face grave. He stopped when Malcolm kicked on his shin, and lost his balance. Malcolm got up in less than one second then threw a punch. Trevor dodged it and moved Malcolm's fist to turn him around. By behind, he crossed his arms under his chin and Malcolm was holding his forearms trying to get rid of his grip, in vain. While Trevor kinda moved to make it less easier for him, his eyes crossed mine. I saw surprise, and almost sadness on his face. He dropped Malcolm and started to walk to me, saying :
"Maddie this isn't what you thi-"
Malcolm jumped him and he fell down the floor. Attacking by behind, that was called being a coward. Malcolm was punching Trevor who was protecting his face, while he had his feet on both sides of him. I was worried for Trevor, but just a bit. Didn't he know this was supposed to happen when you were getting in a fight ?
I winced again and the screams got even louder when Trevor guided his fist on Malcolm's crotch. That probably hurt, a lot. As Malcolm fell and everything continued, the provisor arrived.
"Stop it ! Stop it !"
"We ain't inside the school anymore Mr. Exe, so you can't do anything !" a random guy next to him yelled. He turned back to the fight, putting his hands in a speaker and screamed : "Woo !!"
"Somebody stop them !!" Mr. Exe screamed.
He hadn't had the nerve to interrupt that fight, probably like some other people ; anyone could get hurt badly by getting involved. But Mr. Exe was right.
My first reflex was to turn around and scream : "Diggy !!"
He appeared from the mid of people. He nodded, without me having to say anything else. "Don't get hurt !" I yelled at him.
He grabbed Malcolm by behind and dragged him away from Trevor. I went in and grabbed Trevor's arm and he stopped completely, being as soft as ever. Diggy finally let go of Malcolm and the people scattered away.
"You two" Mr. Exe toned to Trevor and Malcolm. "In my office."
I walked away, with big steps. I was almost furious. Going to my car, I heard somebody running behind me.
"Maddie !" he called my name.
I kept going.
"Maddie !" he repeated, the sound of the steps getting closer.
"What ?!" I loudly answered while turning around, aggressive.
"Listen this isn't what you think"
"Of course, so you weren't fighting with a guy two seconds ago, proving me that you're not making any efforts to change ?!!"
"He started it !!"
"So what ?! I yelled. "So what ?! Are you gonna tell me you didn't continue ?! Are you gonna tell me that you didn't threaten him, and putting your hands on his throat ?!"
He looked down.
"Trevor this is not okay. I'm not your mom, but I have the right to give you lessons because yours has no influence whatsoever on you. The director is waiting for you."
"I don't care."
I looked closely at him.
"You're bleeding."
Blood was staining his beautiful face on his eyebrow, his cheek bone and his bottom lip. And I might've been really mad at him at this moment, I still cared about him.
"Hop in." I sighed. "I'll get you cleaned up and we'll have an argument in privacy."
I got into my car and started it when both of the doors clacked. I wouldn't be spending the afternoon with Olivia anymore, not after what happened, but she probably already knew that.
We arrived into my house and he followed me to the kitchen.
"Sit down." I ordered.
He sat at the table as I searched for tissues.
"Can I have water, please ?" he coughed.
I grabbed a glass, filled it with water and I put it down on the table ; while doing this, I was closer to him and he put his hands above the back of my knee.
"Hey..."
I shook my head and got out of his grip. I damped a tissue then sat, bringing my chair closer to his. Serious, I started to clean up his wounds. He winced when I made contact with his eyebrow.
"Come on, don't complain, you broke Malcolm's nose."
He didn't say anything. I grabbed another wet tissue, and cleaned up his lip. I threw the blooded tissues in the trash then spoke up :
"Come upstairs, I need to put disinfectant on you."
We climbed the stairs in pure silence, and once we got into my bathroom, I grabbed a bottle of disinfectant, put it on a cotton ball and healed his eyebrow and cheek.
"I'm not putting it on your lip, I'm scared you'll swallow it. I hope it'd be okay tho."
"Maybe you can heal it in another way" he said, with a hoarse voice.
I rolled my eyes. "No, Trevor. Good try though."
He grabbed my arm as I was about to go out of the bathrooms.
"Trevor I'm really not in the mood right now."
He kissed me. Very gently, but I still felt his wound against my mouth, so I kissed it. Our kiss was more like many pecks, not just one long thing. He then suddenly hugged me. My head on his shoulder, I hugged back.
"I'm sorry." he mumbled.
I rubbed his back. "I know."
He held me tighter. I closed my eyes and I felt him smelling my hair.
He pulled away, still having his hands around my waist and my hands on his forearms, and stared into my eyes.
"Look... I'm sorry for yesterday. I'm sorry I got annoyed and jealous. I'm sorry for that time I threatened Malcolm. I'm sorry for this morning. I know that sorry doesn't make up for it, but it's all I can do."
"No. It's not all you can do. You can just stop behaving like this."
I pulled away completely from him. "Trevor, when I said I didn't like bad boys, I wasn't talking just about the having sex with every girl in the country and never settling down. When you said you changed, I thought you changed everything. Stop getting detentions, bad grades, your mom being called everytime for every bullshit you do. Stop smoking weed."
"I didn't smoke weed."
"I saw you last week with Josh."
He stayed silent, avoiding my look.
"I'm not your mom, but I'm your girlfriend, which means I care about you, which means I want the best for you. For both of us. Please, Trevor."
He looked into my eyes as I held his two hands.
"Do it for me. If your mom can't have influence on you, at least let me have some."
"It's not that she doesn't have influence, it's that she doesn't care."
"Of course she cares."
"She doesn't care if I get good or bad grades."
"She doesn't care if you have bad grades because she gave up. You don't listen to her. But if you started having good ones, she would be so proud of you. Your life at home will be easier. Your life at school will be easier. Your life with me will be easier."
He kept looking at me.
"I love you. And it hurts me that you're hurting yourself. Your mom cares."
"How do you even know that ?"
"Because I heard her."
I stayed silent, watching him get confused.
I broke our eye contact, shaking my head. "It was, um, at the beginning of the year... That night where we had our first walk into the park. I heard your mom, you yelling, and Skai getting woken up..."
He seemed hurt.
"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have listened but..."
"No, it's not that."
"Then what's wrong ?"
He looked down again.
"Hey, what's wrong ?" I softly repeated, rubbing his arms.
He looked up at me. "My mom never supported what I was doing. She keeps saying that what I love to do is stupid. Music is stupid. Dance is stupid. Drawing is stupid. Art is stupid."
"Having sex with girls is stupid."
"It is, but my mom told me that night I should stop caring about my social life, and my passions."
"I am supporting you. I know it's not as much as you hoped for, but at least you've got me, right ?"
I smiled and put my right hand on his cheek.
"I do."
He smiled and leaned in. We kissed, so lovingly, so gently. I loved those kind of kisses. He put his hands on both sides of my hips and we continued ; it lasted minutes. I had lost track of time, but it probably was more than 5 minutes. And it was amazing.
After a long while, he started to get more passionate. He held me close to his body, tightly. I felt like it was the first time I knew he really was in love with me.