16. Vegetables

We were eating in silence in the cafeteria, and honestly it was a bit awkward. Olivia was next to me and in front of Diggy while I was in front of Trevor. They wouldn't look at eachother, so they would sullenly stare down at their food.
"C'mon you guys are not gonna stay mad at eachother forever" I said.
"Why not ?" Olivia plainly replied.
All we could hear from Diggy was his fork madly pricking his vegetables.
"Because...we're friends" I continued. "We're all together, so you should at least speak to eachother and make an effort"
"You had a fight with April. Am I bothering you with it ? No." Olivia chewed on her carrots.
"No, but I tried to talk to her" I defensed myself. "You didn't do that with Diggy"
Annoyed, Olivia swallowed then spoke up :
"Because he was the one who did something wrong !"
"You're the one who said you liked that Ethan guy in the first place !!" Diggy finally let out.
"Why do you even care ?!" she snapped back at him.
"I-"
"Wow, guys !!" I interrupted them in a loud voice. "Stop arguing..."
"Pffft you know what I'm not even hungry anymore" Olivia rolled her eyes.
She threw her lunch's leftovers in the trash then stomped away.
"I'm done too" Diggy grumbled and as well left.
Trevor and I looked at eachother.
"Guess it's just the two of us now" he playfully winked.
I rolled my eyes and laughed. He was only joking, but he still held my hand under the table.

Afterschool, we all walked together on the way. Diggy and Olivia still haven't spoken to to eachother since lunch, and when we got to a little lawn on the street and sat down on the grass, they both took out their phones and didn't look nor spoke to anyone.
"Soooo, don't you guys wanna do something ?" I suggested.
"I would, but Diggy's too busy on his phone" Olivia ticked off.
"You're on your phone too" he aggressively answered.
"So what ? Me it's important !"
"How do you know my stuff aren't important ?!" he talked back.
"Guys..." I trailed off as they were still fighting.
"Let them do that" Trevor whispered in my ear. "I think they need to talk, better this than doing like the other doesn't exist"
We slowly got up and walked a few meters away as Olivia and Diggy, already stood up, were arguing.
We watched them and I whispered to Trevor :
"Maybe we should leave them alone"
"No, I wanna see what happens"
And they fought. On and on, for hours, God knows why. I could see the love they had for eachother in their eyes, wanting both to stop this unuseful endless fight and make up, but wanting at the same time to win this argument.
We stayed there, watching, and daylight even fell. It was only 7PM, but at this time of the year, night was here fast.
I finally headed towards them. "Guys, I hate to break up your little moment, but maybe we should go home... It's gettin' dark"
Olivia glanced at Diggy.
"You're right, I don't even know why I'm wasting my time with this loser"
She started to walk away as Diggy sighed, annoyed, and rolled his eyes.
We were all walking in the same direction, living in the same path. Olivia was walking next to me as Trevor was trying to talk to Diggy in front of us.

The first house we stopped at was Diggy's. About to say goodnight to him, I walked to him and told him :
"You know, she cried for you."
Feeling surprised -and probably a bit flattered-, Diggy looked down.
"If you're trying to make me feel guilty, it's not workin'"
Of course it was working.
"I'm not trying" I honestly answered. "I'm just saying that she really cares about you. She told me she liked you and wanted you. Really bad." I continued.
Still looking down, he started to play with his feet. "So ?"
"Stop acting like you don't care. I know you're dying of happiness inside right now"
He looked up at me and I saw it was hard for his face to hold back the joy he felt.
I smirked. "Go get her tiger"
This time, he frankly, widely smiled, showing his teeth. He hugged me and whispered a 'thank you', pulled away then walked to Olivia who was talking with Trevor.

Trevor walked towards me and when he turned around, he could see Diggy kissing deeply my best friend.
"I think we're gonna leave them alone" Trevor mumured.
"Yup" I nodded.
We slowly tip toed away like thiefs and walked towards our own houses together.
"So, they happened in three days... Which means no one won the bet" I started.
"Yup" he nodded and grinned.
He held my hand in his big one as we walked to the park. We sat on the bench and I quickly had a feeling of déja vu : us, close, sitting in the park at night...alone. And we even put ourselves in the same way as before.
"You know, I'm not cold this time" I told him.
He looked down at me. "I just wanna hold you."
I felt my heart melting and I remembered April again. She was totally right. Yes, he did flirt with me like I said, with every girl. But, in genereal, not as much, not the same way. What we were doing was not only friendly. If people casually walked in the street and saw us, they'd think right away we were dating, with no doubt. Friends don't kiss eachother's noses and cheeks, don't cuddle, don't hold hands, don't suck on eachother's neck...
It was weird. And I didn't want to date him, but it all felt so good and right.