26.

xx

        Time seemed to flow ceaselessly, the clinic dead silent as Elora, Isaac and Lydia drew away from their sacrifices.

        But as Allison, Scott and Stiles stayed below the water, nothing happened.

        "You said seconds," Lydia whispered fearfully.

        "That was the ideal time frame," Elora softly responded. "Magic doesn't come with a timetable." She looked to Deaton, her heart beating faster than before.

        "We can try to bring them back," Isaac hurriedly said. "CPR or something."

        "No," Elora said as she put out a hand. "Pulling them out will kill them for sure. We can't touch them."

        "They're already dead." Lydia's emotion swung out, truly realizing she had killed Stiles.

        "It could've still taken," said Deaton. "She's right, we can't touch them."

       "Look," Elora spoke up as she rounded the tubs and examined each. "They aren't at the surface."

       Isaac furrowed his eyebrows, "What's that supposed to mean?"

       A thankful smile crossed Elora, "It worked. I took them." Relieved, she ran a hand through her curled hair and let out a breath. "They'll find the Nematon."

        "What do we do now?" Lydia asked as she tried to warm her hands.

       "Now," Deaton said, "we wait."

xx

        "You did what?" Elora held her phone to her ear, perched on the counter in the lobby. "Derek-"

       "I had to do it," her cousin interrupted the lecture he was about to receive. "Cora would've died, El. She's healed now, she's okay."

       "But what about you? The lunar eclipse is in only a few hours and you're a beta. You can't take on what's coming alone." Her lips parted in realization, "This is what Jennifer wants. She wants you to resort to joining her for power."

       "Stop thinking what you're thinking," Derek told her after a moment. "It's a bad idea."

       "They could be here in time, Der."

       "Your parents don't need to be here, not with what happened last time they were around Deucalion," Derek protested. "You nearly died."

       "I remember, but this is different."

       "Elora."

       Closing her eyes, she lightly sighed. "Okay, look, when I'm done here, I'm gonna come to the loft. Kali is still coming for you." After getting a reply, she ended the call and set her phone on the counter. Leaning over, she put her head in her hands.

      It had been hours, but still Scott, Stiles and Allison remained dormant below the water.

      Isaac came into the main sector, concerned about Elora. "Hey."

      El looked, lightly smiling. "Hey."

      "So," he leaned on the counter that she sat atop, "Derek's a beta."

       She nodded, "To save Cora. It's an old, dangerous ritual."

       "Those seem to be a popular choice lately."

      Elora slightly laughed, "That's true."

       "What happened with Deucalion?" Isaac asked after a moment. "You never really told me."