33.

x x

        Elora pinched her phone between her ear and shoulder, on her way out of her house with her car keys in hand. She cupped her coffee thermos as she moved through the hallway and to the door.

        "Already on her way."

        "Thank you, Duke." Elora slipped out of the house and made her coffee hover as she locked up the red door. "I really mean it," she told him as she grabbed her drink from the air and moved to her car.

        "You're welcome," he replied before slightly hesitating. "Elora, how come you lied about the mercenary?"

        Elora opened her car door, waiting just outside of it. "How come you seemed to miss Braeden's major arteries?"

        There was a tinge of a smile in his voice, "You're a clever girl, Elora. Don't let it go to waste."

        "Never," replied El with a smile.

        "Have a good day, I'll keep you updated on your cousin and uncle," said Deucalion.

        Elora climbed into the car and shut the door. "It means a lot, thank you." Once giving a goodbye to the man she had hated for so long, Elora mentally started her car. She checked the message from Isaac, lightly smiling at the text of being happy to have her back and that he was excited to see her later. Before driving towards the Preserve, she dropped her phone in one of the empty cup holders.

        Her sleek black car rolled up to the edge of the woods, the witch climbing out and locking it. She pocketed her hands in her light coat, brown boots crushing crisp autumn leaves.

        Elora ducked under the chain barrier, making her way deep into the woods.

        The fall swelled around her, leaves billowing as they clung to the trees for dear life. The air nipped in slight chill, California hanging on to the warmth that it could.

        Elora hummed to herself, a tune from a musical called Poison that was a twisted, more supernatural version of Red Riding Hood and Snow White as sisters.

Deep in the forest, Deep into the woods

         Elora remembered the woods well; it somewhere she'd spent much of her childhood in. Her summers with the Hale family were never dull. She and her many cousins would play for hours among the trees and still want to stay out longer when Talia would call them back in.

        Elora bristled against a breeze, keeping her hands pocketed as she found her path to the grove that once stood tall with large, ancient oak trees.

         Dead center, she cam across the one she wanted.

        "Hello, old friend."

        The Nemeton sat idle, taunting her with its new born power.

         Elora scanned the stump of oak, reaching down and softly running a palm along the rings. "What are you doing to me?"

       However, the Nemeton gave her no answer.

       It would let someone - something else help her figure it out for herself.

x x

       The Stilinski home remained quiet, both Sheriff and Stiles deep in sleep.

       Stiles, however, was verging too deep, from which he wouldn't be able to escape easily.

       The boy mumbled, rolling over in his covers. Fear struck his face, his eyes shut tight. He gripped his bed sheets, mumbling. "No, no, no, no, no, no, don't let them in." He was sweating, nearly in tears. "Don't let them in. No, don't let them in. Elora, don't let them in."