54.

x x

       Sirens wailed outside of Beacon Memorial Hospital under the twilight, a brigade of cop cars squealing to a halt around Roscoe.

       Stiles Stilinski loved Roscoe more than he loved most things in life, and he would never leave his Jeep deserted, never in his right mind.

       Given, he was oceans away from a right mind.

       Elora launched out of Stilinski's patrol SUV just as Noah slammed it into park, the two barreling toward the Jeep just as Scott's dirt bike skidded to a stop outside of Roscoe.

       Sheriff Stilinski yanked the driver's door open, turning back to the growing crowd of supernaturals. "It's dead. He must have left the lights on."

       "Why would he come here?" Scott quickly asked.

       Stilinski sighed, shutting Roscoe's door. "Let's find out."

       Within minutes the group, followed by deputies, stormed the hospital.

       Melissa met them, heart racing in worry for her practically adopted son. "Security's doing sweeps of every floor. Nothing yet."

       "What about the basement?" questioned Elora, fingers loosely laced with Isaac's.

       Nurse McCall motioned over her shoulder, "Follow me."

       Elora's eyes went to the ceiling before she could dash away with the police.

       "What's wrong?" Isaac asked, having been tugged back to her.

       "Derek's here," she told them, able to sense her cousin from miles.

       Scott turned back to Stilinski, the Sheriff waiting for them to follow. "We'll catch up."

       "Let's go." El put a hand on both Isaac and Scott, pulling them out sight before vanishing with them completely.

       A cold breeze slinked along the trip, unsteady feet landing on the roof of BMH.

       Derek turned as Elora and the wolves appeared, softly shaking his head. "He's not here. Not anymore."

       Scott was panting from nerves, his first apparation leaving him nauseous. "You mean the whole building?"

       "Gone."

       Elora sighed, running a hand through her hair. "I'll go tell Stilinski."

       "And see if you can find Allison." Scott met eyes with El, evident worry bursting at the seams. "She's not answering her phone."

      El nodded, "I'll figure it out." She barely took a step back before disappearing into thin air.

      Derek's eyes lingered on the power source of the hospital, "Notice how strong the scent is up here?" He glanced to Scott, Isaac lingering not far behind. "Ever hear of chemo signals? They're chemical signals that communicate with emotion. And just our sweat can give off anger, fear or disgust. Take a deep breath, both of you, and tell me what you feel."

       "Stress," Scott said as he inhaled.

       "And anxiety," offered Isaac.

      Scott felt his heart pound beneath his ribs, "What was he doing up here?"

      Derek didn't have the answer they wanted, "I don't know, but there was definitely some kind of struggle."

       Isaac's brows furrowed, "With who?"