40.

x x

       "It's genuinely weird how much you like Halloween."

       Elora looked up from a box of decorations, wearing a wide brimmed pointed hat. "What do you mean?"

       Narrowing his eyes, Isaac motioned around the house covered in fake spiderwebs and floating candles. "We're in Hogwarts, El."

       The brunette rolled her eyes as she waved him off, bringing out an array of Halloween decorated tableware. "You don't really think JK Rowling came up with that idea all by herself, do you?"

       Isaac's mouth opened with a question just as El threw a spooky cat blanket at him.

       "Put that in the den please," El requested with a sweet smile. She adjusted her pointy hat, relishing in a holiday that encouraged witches.

       Witches with warts and green skin, but witches none the less.

       Elora's phone went off as it rested on the kitchen table, the expression on her face falling.

       Waving a hand, the phone fell silent as the call was denied.

       Isaac lifted an eyebrow as he walked back in from the living room He picked up her phone, squinting at the screen. "It was Derek." He scrolled, "This time. But holy shit, this international number-" He jumped, the phone vanishing from his grip.

       "I didn't think it was Derek," El defended, immediately calling him back. She looked desperate through the rings, relieved once he answered.

        "El?"

       "Derek, thank god." Elora ran a hand through her dark waves, slightly pacing the kitchen at 11:30 p.m. "Are you okay? Duke told me Braeden got you guys out."

       "Yeah, both of us are fine."

       "Speak for yourself, I lost a finger."

       "We're fine," Derek repeated without a care about Peter. "We also got what we came for. The Calaveras had it like we thought."

       Elora's eyebrows lifted, "You found them?"

       "In a box made of a Rowan tree completely filled with mountain ash, but luckily Braeden could get it out."

       "They'll definitely be on your ass now that you have the triskele box," El told him as she leaned on the kitchen counter. "You'll have to be careful."

       "We are," Derek assured. "We're taking an extra day or two to get back to Beacon."

       "Good, as long as you guys are safe." El took a beat, "Are her claws really in there?"

       Derek softly laughed, "Yeah, they're hers."

       "Derek, let's go."

       "I've gotta let you go, El, but I'll see you soon," Derek said with subtle reluctance.

       "All right, stay safe, Der. Love you."

       "Love you, too."

       Elora pocketed her phone with a warm smile, it falling as she found the look on Isaac's face.

       "El," Isaac asked, "who's calling you that you won't answer?" He joined her in the kitchen, leaning on the island across from her. "For the two days since you guys shut the doors, someone's been calling you nonstop and you won't give them the time of day."