Nightmares: Dean x Reader

You had been having nightmares lately. You'd wake up covered in sweat, with tears streaming down your face.

Dean would wrap his arms around you and whisper soothingly into your ear.

The only problem was, by time you woke up, you couldn't remember what the dreams were about. You just knew they were plagued with fear and death.

After a while, Dean knew the drill. You'd wake up, tears in your eyes, and he'd wrap you up in his embrace until you fell back asleep.

One night, the nightmares were particularly bad, and you woke up sobbing.

No matter how hard you tried, you couldn't fall back asleep. Not even Dean holding you was helping.

So as you laid there in the dark, he began singing.

"Carry on my wayward son." He sang quietly.

But it wasn't like the rock song he so loved to sing to.

He sang it to a slower tempo, so it sounded like a lullaby.

"They'll be peace when you are done. Lay your weary head to rest. Don't you cry no more."

You smiled at his lovely voice. He didn't use his screaming Metallica at the top of his lungs, voice. He used his real singing voice. It was smooth and beautiful. It lulled you right to sleep.

The next morning, you told Dean you wanted him to sing that to you every night. You told him how beautiful it was. He promised he would, and he did.

Two weeks later Dean went out to take a drive. It had just finished raining, and the air was thick. You were doing dishes when you received a call from Dean.

"Hello?"

"Hi, I'm Dr. Grey. Are you (y/n)?" A woman asked. This was not Dean.

You turned the sink off and dried your hands, holding the phone against your ear with your shoulder:

"Yes. Where's Dean? What's wrong?" You asked.

"Dean got into a car accident. He was brought into the ER about 15 minutes ago, and he's going up to surgery right now. You were the last person he messaged. Are you family?"

Before you could lie, she spoke again.

"Well even if you aren't, tell the nurses when you get here that you are. Then you can see him when he's out of surgery."

You thanked her profusely before she told you which hospital he was at.

You hung up, quickly calling Sam. He had just ran out to grab food.

You told him what you knew, and you agreed to meet him there.

After hanging up with him, you threw your phone at the wall, screaming.

He had to be ok. There was no other option.

You quickly jumped in the car, driving to the hospital where your precious Dean was.

You ran in, immediately seeing Sam there.

"Sam! Where is he? Is he ok?" You asked, your eyes wide.

He shook his head.

"He's still in surgery. No updates yet."

You put your head in your hands, and you could feel Sam hugging you.

"He's gonna be fine." He whispered.

"He's strong, and he won't leave us. He won't leave you." He said.

You nodded, pulling away. You began pacing, biting on your nail.

You weren't sure how long you paced back and forth, but eventually a doctor came out and walked towards you.

Sam jumped out of his seat, and we both ran up to meet the doctor.

"How is he?!" You demanded.

The doctor sighed, and as she spoke, you realized it was the same doctor from the phone.

"Well the surgery worked, and he made it through."

You cried out in relief. Your beloved was going to be ok.

"Can we see him?" You asked eagerly.

She nodded, leading the way.

She took us to where Dean was, hooked up to IV's and heart monitors.

"I'll be in to check regularly, and he should wake up within the next couple hours." The doctor said with a smile before leaving.

You sat down in the seat next to Dean. You smoothed down his hair and kissed his cheek, taking his hand in yours.

"You're gonna be fine, babe." You whispered happily.

You perked up immediately and saw Dean's eyes open and staring at you.

"Dean." You whispered.

Sam was down at the cafeteria getting a coffee, so you simply sat there, gazing into his eyes.

"I'm so glad your ok." You said, your eyes burning with tears.

He continued humming, and you recognized it as the lullaby version of Carry On My Wayward Son than he sang to you every night.

You leant down and kissed his lips.

You ran over to the door and called for a nurse, explaining that Dean was finally awake.

With the doctor on her way for a check-up, you returned back to Dean.

Dean was still humming the song

You were taking in his beautiful eyes

The doctor was walking in with a smile

Everything was ok. Good, even. Just for a second.

But then Dean stopped humming

And his eyes closed

Then the monitors started being frantically

And the doctor ran in, dropping her clip board and calling for a crash cart.

You were being pushed out of the room as they tried to restart Dean's heart.

You were screaming his name.

Sam, who had been walking down the hall, came running as he heard your screams.

He dropped his coffee as he saw the nurses running into Dean's room.

You fell to the ground as the doctors stopped working.

And you heard those 3 words you never wanted to hear.

"Time of death....."

You didn't hear the rest, because you were screaming again. You were screaming so loud and Sam was trying to shush you.

Then you were crying and he was crying. And the doctors were saying that there was nothing they could have done. And people were patting your shoulder.

But you just pushed past everyone and ran to Dean.

Seeing his still face made you cry even harder. But there was something you had to do.

"Carry On My Wayward Son

They'll Be Peace When You Are Done

Don't you cry no more. " You sang quietly to him. One final song.

And you sat there and cried,

Because Dean had died.