Phil Coulson Is NOT Dead

This chapter contains spoilers for Marvel's The Avengers.

• • •

I know what you're thinking - "Phil was stabbed through the chest with Loki's sceptre, of course he's not alive!".

WRONG. HE IS ALIVE.

I WILL PROVE IT.

I WILL.

I.

WILL.

DON'T DISAGREE WITH ANY OF THE SOLID PROOF I'M ABOUT TO GIVE YOU OR I WILL BRING IN THE HULK.

YA DON'T WANT THAT TO HAPPEN.

Okay, let's get to the point. I get it, you don't think Phil is alive. "He clearly died on screen," you say.

Yeah, yeah, I know - we saw him 'die' on screen. I get it. But you'll be questioning if he actually died once you take a look at the paragraph below.

Here are my reasons for why Phil Coulson is actually not dead. I've done a lot of research (because this character rocks) and I've come up with three main points. Ready?

THE PUSH

Nick was the only one who actually said that Phil is dead, and let's be real, he isn't exactly the most honest person in the movie. Neither Maria nor any of the paramedics actually said, "Coulson is dead".
Nick first said, "Coulson is down". He didn't immediately say that he was dead. He obviously gave it some though afterwards and decided to fake his death to give them a push. Plus, he faked his own death in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, so he's no stranger to that idea.
"Sir, those cards ... they were in Coulson's locker, not his jacket," says Maria. Nick replies with, "They just needed a push."
Suspicious, right?
Nick knows that Phil is alive but needs to push the Avengers to fight. He uses Phil's death to motivate them because Phil always had faith in the team. He even dipped his vintage Captain America cards in blood. If Phil was really dead, he could have just shown them the corpse. There would be no reason to ruin the cards.

THE FAKE DEATH

Phil may not have actually died on screen. I know that blank stare he gave the floor was convincing, but he could've just passed out from blood loss.
Speaking of blood, I know there was blood everywhere, but Helen was covered in plenty of her own blood in Age of Ultron and survived. Helen was probably left there without paramedics longer than Phil was, too.

THE SOLID PROOF

He was in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., which basically proves that he's alive right there. You don't get proof more solid than this. The TV series is set after the events of The Avengers, so unless he was resurrected from the dead or something, he can't be in it if he's not alive. I don't know how it works on your planet, but that's how it works on ours. ;)
When interviewed, Clark Gregg said that he'd be back. He said:
"The Marvel guys said, 'You're dead. You're dead. But it's the comics so it's a different form of dead. Who knows, maybe we'll see you again some day.'"

See guys? Phil is alive. ALIVE, I SAY! This calls for a celebration. Let's go get shwarma or something.

Look, you may not agree with me, but you can't argue with the fact that he was in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Well, one thing is for sure: he's gonna be real angry when he finds out that Nick rubbed his vintage, "near mint" trading cards in blood. ;)