(295): Daughter's Day (Aunt Cass)

Apparently it's Daughter's Day or something so I should probably be festive. It's a little late & I won't be posting anymore tonight but you can count on more this weekend~

(Unedited).

You're in a deep sleep. A part of you knows that it's late into the morning, but it's Saturday, and you don't want to wake up. "___, ___," a soft voice says kindly. You slowly open your eyes.

"W-What?" You reluctantly push your blankets down and look up to see your Aunt Cass staring down at you. She opens the blinds behind your bed and smiles.

"Morning, sleepy head," she says.

"Morning." You yawn and stretch. "What time is it?"

"Around eleven," she replies. "Do you know what today is?"

"Saturday," you mumble, "right?"

"Yeah, but when I was checking my email today, I had one with a coupon attached. The coupon is for one free ice cream at the ice cream parlor down the shop. Apparently it's National Daughter's Day."

"That's a thing?" You ask before letting out yet another yawn. You swing your legs off of the bed and stand up.

"Guess so. Anyways, I know that I'm not your mom, obviously, but do you want to go? We can have a girl's day out."

You smile at your Aunt Cass. She seems like she genuinely wants to take time out of her only day off and spend the day with you. Besides, this woman has been raising you since you lost your parents when you were only five. Since then, she has managed to juggle running a business and raising three kids; two of which happen to be nerds that tend to get into trouble. She's become your guardian and your best friend. "Of course, Aunt Cass. That sounds fun. I'll just get ready, okay?"

"Okay!" she exclaims. She runs to your side and pulls you into a hug. You wrap your arms around her and bury your face in her shoulder. Taking a deep breath, you inhale the motherly scent that has always comforted you whenever you were sad or stressed. Coffee, cinnamon, and cherry blossom. Aunt Cass pulls away, reaching up to tuck a strand of your hair behind your ear. "Wait," she says before you walk away. "Last hug!" She squeezes you tightly before releasing you.

-

"Ooh, so many flavors, huh?" Aunt Cass says cheerfully as you lean over the freezer. She touches your shoulder. "Pick whatever you'd like."

You eye your favorite in the back. "Two scoops of (favorite) on a waffle cone, please."

As the worker grabs the metal spoon and dunks it into the frozen dessert, she says, "Toppings?"

You look up at the toppings menu and pick your favorite. Your ice cream is handed to you and Aunt Cass orders hers, two scoops of strawberry cheesecake ice cream in a waffle bowl with whipped cream and nuts on top. She lets you pick a table, and you chose the one next to the window. You sit in the white chair and lick your ice cream, staring up at the cherry blossom trees that are outside.

"It's a beautiful day, isn't it?" Aunt Cass admires the sunset in the sky. She sighs. "It sure is nice to have a day off. I love working at the cafe, but it's so tiring."

"I'll try to help out more often," you suggest.

Aunt Cass shakes her head. "You do so much already by helping me keep your brothers in check." She smiles. "I couldn't ask for a better niece to of raised. You're a smart, kind, and loving girl, ___. I know that your mom would be proud of who you've grown into."

You blush. "I wouldn't of ended up like this if you hadn't of taken us in. Thank you for being a great mom, Aunt Cass." You lean over the table and awkwardly hug her, trying to keep the dripping ice cream cone away from both you and her. "I love you."

"I love you, too, sweetie."

You pull back. Aunt Cass starts up another conversation about some of the people who visit the cafe regularly, and how crazy and sometimes rude they are. After a while, the sun sets completely and you and Aunt Cass get ready to go.

"Where to next, kiddo? A movie? The bowling alley? It's your call-" Her cell phone starts to ring. She digs into her small purse and mumbles, "Speaking of call," before raising the phone to her ear. "Hello?" You patiently wait for her to hang up. "Tadashi Hamada, you are where?" Aunt Cass's voice rises in anger and shock. "What did you do? Oh, I'm coming to get you, but when I do, you two are in loads of trouble!" She angrily hangs up.

"What did my brothers do now?"

"They were arrested. Arrested!" She groans. "Sorry, sweetie. Looks like we'll have to continue this another day. I have to bail your brothers out."

You roll your eyes. "We knew that it was just a matter of time, Cass."

She nods. "This is true. Well, let's get a move on!" She climbs into the drivers seat of her green truck.

"This was still the best Daughter's Day ever," you say as you buckle your seatbelt.

"Aw, well I'm glad that you thought so." She squeezes your shoulder. "At least I raised one of you right."