(310): Grief (Wasabi) (Part One)

Wasabi x Reader requested by SandyGraves~

(Unedited).

"Hey, Wasabi," you happily greet your best friend. He takes a sip of his coffee and sets in back perfectly in place in his well organized table.

"Hello, ___," he says, offering you a smile. "How has your morning been?"

"Pretty good," you say. "Yours?"

"If Fred can keep his distance, I'll be doing fine," Wasabi says, shooting a dirty look over at his friend. You turn your head and see Fred clumsily cartwheel across the room.

You laugh and turn back to Wasabi. "My family is going to the movies tomorrow. Want to come?"

Wasabi sighs. "You know that I want to, ___, but I have this huge project to complete. If I don't finish these lasers and get them completely precise, I could fail! And if I fail, my entire future will fall apart!"

"You'll do fine, Wasabi," you say, "come on. It's just one night out."

"I can't."

"One night won't hurt anything. The movie is only, like, two hours long."

"I don't want to go see a movie. Maybe another time."

You groan. "Fine. Whatever." You turn away and quickly walk back.

"___, are you mad at me?" Wasabi's heart sinks. "Please don't be mad."

You don't look back. You give him a small half wave and walk towards your lab.

"I'm not an expert on girls, but I think that she's mad," Fred whispers loudly.

Wasabi gently shoves him. "Oh, just get out of here!"

-

The next day, Wasabi walks into the building with plans to apologize. You were right, one night away wasn't going to hurt anything. Wasabi walks to your lab and knocks on the door. It's dark inside. "Hello? ___?"

"She's not here," Hiro says from behind Wasabi. Wasabi jumps.

When he recovers from the scare, he says, "What do you mean, she's not here?"

"Didn't you hear what happened yesterday?"

Wasabi's heart stops. "No. What? What happened?" He grabs Hiro's shoulders.

"A fire started in their kitchen. Her entire house was burnt to the ground. Everyone made it except for her dad."

"Oh my gosh," Wasabi gasps.

"You didn't get her call yesterday? Or mine? She called me and asked for you. I figured that you were busy."

"My phone was off," Wasabi forces out, dread filling him. "Where is she now?"

"Her mom and siblings are staying with her aunt, but there's not enough room, so she's staying with Honey Lemon."

"I have to see her," he states.

"She won't talk," Honey says. She just entered the building. "I didn't want to leave her but I needed to pick up my wallet that I left here. You can go ahead and go over. I'll be a few minutes." She hands him her key.

Wasabi nods. "Thank you."

Once in his car, he checks through his voicemails. He plays the one from you.

"Wasabi," your voice chokes out, "I-I can't- I don't know what- I need you. I need you so badly right now. Please come over. I feel so alone and lost and- please, I need you."

The line ends with a sob. Wasabi's heart breaks. You needed him and he wasn't there. He pulls in front of Honey's apartment and runs through the lobby and up the steps. He easily finds the door and jams the key inside. When it unlocks, he opens the door and rushes inside.

"___?"

He goes to the small spare bedroom and opens the door. You're sitting in the window sill, your forehead against the glass.

"I keep thinking that he's still alive," you say. "That they'll find him in the house."

Wasabi waits a moment before responding. "Denial. That's the first stage of grief."

"How long does it last?" you ask.

"I'm not sure. I'm only a physics student, after all."

You look down at your hands. "Then can you do me a favor?"

"Anything," Wasabi says.

"Can you invent a laser that can erase memory?" you ask, blinking tears away. You smile. "I don't want to remember."

"Even if it were possible I couldn't," Wasabi says. "Your memories are what you need now."

You sigh and look back out the window. "I'm glad that you're here. I didn't think that you were coming to see me."

"My phone wasn't on," Wasabi whispers, "___, I am so sorry."

"It's not your fault," you respond.

"I should of been there for you," he says. "I haven't been the kind of best friend that you need."

You shake your head. "You're wrong, Wasabi." You take a hitched breath in and say, "You're what I need right now." A sob escapes your throat and you look up at him. "I need you."

Wasabi crosses the room and kneels beside you. You fall into his arms. "I'm here," Wasabi whispers, running his fingers through your tangled hair. "I'm here."

You press your face into his shoulder and let out a choking sob. "I want to stay with you."

"Okay," he says gently. His hand runs up and down your back. "You can stay with me."

"Are you sure?" you ask, wrapping your arms around him.

"Of course. You can stay with me for as long as you'd like."

"I love you," you whisper softly.

Wasabi's heart skips a beat. "I love you, too." He waits a few moments before saying, "Do you want to go to my place now?"

You nod and wipe your eyes, pulling away. Wasabi helps you to your feet. "I-I don't have anything. I don't have any other clothes or anything."

"I'll buy you some," Wasabi says. "I'm going to take care of you. Okay?"

You nod again. Wasabi turns towards the doors, and you take his hand.