A walk to remember

After North and Silas helped Luke to Sang's second bedroom the guys said goodnight to sang. North stayed and sat on the sofa. these were new feelings to Sang. She never felt awkward around North. Not even when she first met him. Scared maybe, but not awkward. She fidgeted for a minute, then said "I have to take Winnie out for a walk, you can take a shower if you want to, extra towel and everything is in the closet next to the bathroom."

"Do you mind if i come with you"/ North asked.

"I can do this on my own North. I haven't need a babysitter for a long time." sang couldn't stop herself from snapping.

"I didn't mean that, I wanted to walk with you. Luke is sleeping, I thought I could clear my head a little" North said softly.

Sang didn't know what to say. This is a different North than the one she used to deal with. "All right. I'll get Winnie and wait outside for you".

The walk was quiet. Though it was difficult to know if she was walking Winnie or Winnie was walking her. North found it funny to see Sang try to manage Winnie. "That is an interesting pet you have Baby" North chuckled after helping her untangle Winnie from a tree.

"I know he is a little exuberant at times, but I love him. He has a good heart." She answered sheepishly.

They kept on walking even after Winnie was done. It seemed none of them wanted this moment of peace to end.

"Thank you for letting us stay" north told her softly. "It would be good for Luke to be with you and away from everything else".

"Hmm. I don't have the heart to tell him to go. Or you. I know you are worried about him but he is better. He will be fine." Sang assured North.

"It isn't just this situation baby. He's been difficult to handle".

Handle! Same old North, trying to control the world. "He can make his own decisions North".

"I know he can. They may be crazy like him but they are his. But lately his decisions have been getting him hurt. He is being careless and unreasonable."

"What do you mean"? Sang asked.

"This is not his first accident. He is drinking too much and crashed his bike while drunk. He messed up on another job. Missing important details. He is angry all the time." North said in a quiet voice. "Even getting angry at him is having no effect".

Sang didn't know what to say. It was hard forher to believe Luke would be like this. She was scared. He barely survived thistime. "Why is he behaving like this do you know"? She asked softly.
North avoided answering her. He is not going to tell her why he thinks Luke changed. He is not going to start a blame game. Instead he asked " what about you? How have you been?"
"You just heard the condensed version of my life" sang laughed "there isn't much else."
"Are you happy"?
That simple question was so unlike North, it startled Sang. North isn't he one to ask questions like this. He takes charge and pushes his way in to fix what he thinks is wrong. Ever since she saw him at Luke's hospital room she sensed a change in North. She was confused and concerned now. Was everything okay with them?
"I'm happy" she cleared her throat. "I am doing something I love and proud of, I have my little house, friends. It's good for me here."
"That's good baby. You deserve to be happy". North told her.
Winnie was done playing. He was pulling Sang towards the house. North took a hold of the leash and turned to face Sang..."I know a lot have changed baby, but one thing is the same. I am still your friend. I want is to be friends again. Things changed for me over the years and I hope I can be a better friend to you now. thank you for letting Luke and me stay in your house."
They turned around to go back to the house. He's changed, Sang thought. He is not the angry and controlling North I knew. And what does he mean "friends" again! I was only a friend to him!
I side the house Sang put Winnie in his house and went to take a shower and get ready for bed. While she was mad at Mercy for maneuvering her life without asking, it'll be nice to have some time off. She was almost finished with the program. She would have to look for a permanent position.
When she came out she didn't she North but heard him move around in the second bedroom where Luke was. She went to her own room and to bed.
I told you they would make you a whore...... A whore that's what you are.....is that what you plan on doing pass her around like a whore......get out of our life... You ruined everything... You tore the family apart. Sang tried to escape all the voices but they kept getting louder and louder. She felt the slap across her face.
She gasped and sat up on the bed. She hadn't had a nightmare like that in a while. A movement from the door made her look there. Someone standing there. The musky smell told her who it was.
"Are you okay baby"? North asked worry lining his voice.
Sang sat up..."yeah".. She cleared her throat. Took a sip of water that was on the bedside table..."what are you doing up"?
"I couldn't sleep, so I was sitting on the sofa when I heard you" North answered. Sang could feel his stare in the dark. Funny how she had a nightmare and he was right there, like old times.
"I'm okay now North, go to sleep", she wouldn't fall back into the same habit again. She dealt with her nightmares on her own all this time, she can do it now too.
She laid back down without waiting for him to leave. She didn't want to give him the chance to say anything.
North stood there for a bit then sighed and turned around to go back to the living room.
"North" Sang asked softly "why were you up"?
North stood frozen for a minute then turned around to answer. "I kept going over how close I came to loosing someone I love again. I don't care much about my parents but Luke is important. And you." He stopped talking. Sang didn't know what to say. But North beat her to it..."I also wanted to see you sleeping again." He said. North turned around to go back to the living room when Sang called him back.
"North star".
North turned around not daring to breathe...."I had a nightmare. I dreamed about my stepmother again. About the things she used to call me."
North took a deep breath and said "you know none of those words are true, right. She was crazy. And used you as an excuse."
Sang heard the truth in his words. She knew those words. She said it to herself often.
"North Star, can you stay here tonight"?
"You don't have to baby" North told her.
"I know I don't have to." Sang slid over and made space for him.
North waited and then came over. "Are you sure Sang"!
"Yes".
North slid into the space Sang made.
"Good night North Star".