Wash Away My Pain

Concrete Angel by Martina McBride

She walks to school with the lunch she packed
Nobody knows what she's holding back
Wearing the same dress she wore yesterday
She hides the bruises with the linen and lace, oh

The teacher wonders but she doesn't ask
It's hard to see the pain behind the mask
Bearing the burden of a secret storm
Sometimes she wishes she was never born

Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place
Where she's loved concrete angel

Somebody cries in the middle of the night
The neighbors hear but they turn out the light
A fragile soul caught in the hands of fate
When morning comes it will be too late

Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place
Where she's loved concrete angel

A statue stands in a shaded place
An angel girl with an upturned face
A name is written on a polished rock
A broken heart that the world forgot

Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place
Where she's loved concrete angel.
**********************************************************************************
Sang was thinking about the last few days. The boys seem to have made it their mission to keep her entertained. Every night they were having dinner together, watching TV or simply sitting together doing their own thing. She had to admit she liked the feeling being together with them. She still didn't decided what she wanted to do about her job. Does she stay in Texas or follow her heart to the boys. Mercy was telling her to take a chance on the boys. Talk to them, ask them about their feeling towards her. She was afraid to. They were still here, that should mean something right? What if questioning them pushes them away. Love is a funny thing, Sang thought, it makes the strongest of man reduce to a puddle. She didn't want t assume anything then have the situation become awkward.
Unbeknownst to Kota, She was also talking to Erica. Sang had told Erica about Kota and the guys being in Texas. She wanted Erica's opinion on things. Erica's take on things were a little more harder. She wanted Sang to take her time, see what the guys behave like, talk to them about Sang's own feelings about everything and finally tell them what it was that drove her away. Mercy and Erica, both were right. Now it was up to Sang to put the two together and make it work. She was thinking about taking Mercy's advice and ask one of them out on a date. Which one first. There was also other issues to work through before going on a date. The fact that they have things and people in Charleston to deal with, before Sang would even consider a date. At this point the only ones that are good to go were Owen, North, Luke and Gabriel.
Sang was still lost in thought when her pager went off. She took a look at the code and jumped up and ran towards the emergency room. Tonight she was in charge of trauma, and from the sound of the ambulance it was going to be long night. She was in no way prepared for the sight that greeted her in the trauma room.
On the stretcher that was being pushed through the door was girl, straddled by a paramedic, getting CPR. The sheet covering her was bloody, you could barely see her face. Behind the stretcher were police officers running in. There faces etched in pain and sadness.
"Dr. Soren!"
Sang shook herself and jumped into action. She grabbed herself coveralls and snapped on gloves, yelling out orders at the same time. She ordered the police officers out of the room.
"We are going to need everything for evidence." Said one of the officers. "Do a rape kit too" he added.
When Sang finally approached the bed, she couldn't move for a second. On the bed was a teenage girl. Her face covered in bruises, eyes swollen shut. Jaws broken. Blood seeping out from a head wound.
"Dr. Soren! She flatlined!"
"Charge the paddles" Sang jumped into action. Her training as a doctor took over.
After they were able to get the girls heart beat steady, the team of doctor and nurses began to work on her. X-rays revealed broken and bruised ribs, broken hand and leg. There were signs of long term abuse visible all over the poor child's body. Sang held on to her training as a blanket while she examined the patient. Memories of her own past was drowning her. She felt every blow given to this child as if they were given to her. Finally they had to give the little girl, who couldn't be more than fourteen, a rape exam. It took all of Sang's will power to stay in the room and finish the exam. Two nurses had already walked out of the room, seeing the damage done. One on the verge of throwing up.
This tiny girl went through what no one would think of in their nightmare. Signs of repeated rape was visible, on her body. She would have to have reconstructive surgery to function again. There were damage done that might never be fixed. Sang willed herself to collect all the evidence police would need. This wasn't her first time working on a victim. This would be her first time where she was numbing herself not to feel anything. Every bruise on the young body a reminder of her own. Every cut Sang found was a cut on San's own body. Sang wiped the girls body down gently, holding on to her tears. The Rape exam almost broke her. she had to stop and take a deep breath. The nurse working with her was a seasoned nurse. she placed a hand on Sang's shoulder reminding Sang of her duty.
"Thank god she is not awake" muttered the nurse. "What kind of monster would do this?"
"Monsters would've been kinder" Sang thought.
Sang handed all the items to the police detective that was there. She knew them. They worked with Danny. The usual banter they had is not there today. "How is she?" Asked one of them.
"Alive" Sang answered. "I hope you caught the guy that did this".
"It was her father." His answer left Sang frozen. She didn't know when she pushed the door open and stepped outside.
****************************************************************************************************
Mercy
Mercy ran into the emergency area looking for Sang. One of the ER nurses told her about the patient that came in earlier. She knew Sang worked on her. Mercy knew her daughter, she was more than capable of handling herself. Sang would do what is necessary. But she would break afterwards. So Mercy came looking for her.
"Have you seen Dr. Soren?" Mercy asked the desk nurse.
"Yeah. She finished her shift and left. I saw her going towards the parking lot" the desk nurse answered.
Mercy started calling Sang. After a few try Sang picked up.
"I'm fine mama!" She said. "I'm just going to drive around a little bit." Sang sounded as if she was on a auto drive mode. Her voice numb. It scared Mercy. She hung up the phone and called a different number.
****************************************************************************************************Owen Blacbourne