Chapter 57 - Just a Game

Ryder and I danced a little bit more, constantly saying cutesy things to each other- Ryder being the one who said the cheesiest things. But they were so adorable that I couldn’t help but say ‘Aw’.

Ryder, no matter what he was doing, never took his eyes off of me for half a second. He’d walk away to get something and he’d walk backwards, his eyes still on me. It made me feel a bit self-conscious... but then I also felt special.

When I was standing alone one time- Ryder being off at the snack table, still staring at me- I was jumped on by Angie, who was bouncing around excitedly. “Hi.” She smiled, waving her hands around in my face and smiling like a freak. “Hey,” I grinned, looking over my shoulder and seeing Ryder standing almost near me, staring over. I laughed and turned back to Angie, who was still smiling.

“You seem overly happy.” I whispered, raising my eyebrows at her. She laughed and began pulling on her tight sleeves. “You seem overly happy, too.” She replied, looking at the ground. “Maybe because Ryder keeps on saying cutesy stuff to me.” I smiled. “Like?”

“Um, couples who make toast together, stay together and things like that.” I smirked, shaking my head. “Why can’t Jake do that? Why can’t he make terrible and cheesy jokes but still sound cute and adorable... even though he is cute and adorable all of the time.” Angie laughed, just as Jake came up to her, wrapping his hands around her waist, like Ryder sometimes does to me.

“Bit tight there.” Angie laughed, moving Jake’s arms  from her body slightly. Ryder then bounced over to us, giving me a kiss on the cheek. “Hello, ladies... and Jake.” He smirked, throwing an arm around my shoulders.

“Hi, Ryder.” Angie grinned, waving her hand slowly. Angie mouthed something to Ryder and Ryder shook his head and shrugged... and then Angie smiled and chuckled to herself, holding Jake’s hands tightly.

I looked between them and frowned. I was about to ask something, but Kitty interrupted us by storming up and wearing her signature grin. “Hi,” She smiled. Her hair was straightened to perfection and she wore a short, dusty pink dress with a tulle from the waist down; similar to Glimmer’s dress during the interviews.

“I’m just about to go up and sing, but thanks, Ange... and you, too, Marley for being... there or whatever.” Kitty said, shaking her head and strutting away. “Best thank you ever.” I laughed to Ryder, who simply kissed my cheek.

“Why is she thanking you?” Jake asked Angie, looking down at her. “Because I taught her something.” Angie said, tilting her head back and leaning it against Jake’s chest. “What’d you teach her?” I asked. And, as if on cue, Kitty walked onto the stage, the room falling silent.

She sat down at the piano in the centre of the stage and smiled at the audience. “Vote Kitty for Queen... and Jake for King.” She smiled, adding the last part in a low grumble. I laughed and watched as she adjusted herself in her seat and began playing the piano.

“Would you like to dance, Mrs. Lynn?” Ryder asked, holding his hand out once again. I smiled and took it, following him to the dance floor, where everyone was finding their partners for the slow dance.

Kitty:

 I don't know where I am

I don't know this place

Don't recognize anybody

Just the same old empty face

See these people they lie

And I don't know who to believe anymore

I looked from Kitty to Ryder and gave Ryder a small kiss on the lips.He smirked and tucked some of my hair behind my ear, staring into my eyes.