Chapter 65 - New York Comes With Rules?

“Marley. Marley.” I was shaken awake the next morning by someone. “Marley.” They whined, shaking my shoulder. I groaned and buried myself under the blankets, pulling them tighter around me. “Marls, get up.” Ryder said, pulling the covers off of me and shaking me again. “I’m tired.” I murmured, shielding my eyes with my arm.

“Marls, just get dressed I need to take you somewhere.” Ryder whispered. I looked up at him and squinted as the bright light from the window blinded me. “Where do you n-“ Ryder clamped his hand over my mouth and stared over at Kitty, watching her stir in her sleep.

“Be quiet... and dress nicely.” He slowly took his hand away from my mouth and gave me a kiss on the head. “How’d you get in here?” I asked, sitting up and trying to move the bed to wake Angie- who had been crying all night and obviously barely got any sleep. “It’s something called your bobby pins... I found two packets of them in my suitcase.” He whispered, chuckling lightly.

I took his hands and pulled myself out of the bed, brushing down my bed hair. “You look like a wreck.” He whispered, glancing over at the rest of the girls. “Oh, yeah, we all had a tough night last night.” I whispered back, wiping my eyes. “What happened?” He asked.

“I’ll discuss it with you later.” I said, touching his shoulder lightly. “Now, leave so I can get ready.” I said, pushing him towards the door. “Okay. Wear something nice.” He whispered, kissing my cheek lightly.

I got dressed as quickly and as quietly as possible into one of the few dresses that I packed. I managed not to wake up anyone in that time. I shuffled out of the room quickly and found Ryder at the door.

“Hi.” I whispered, shutting the door lightly and kissing Ryder’s cheek. “Hey, babe. You look stunning. As always.” He whispered, tucking some hair behind my ear. I blushed and looked at the ground, awkwardly playing with my hands. “Come on. I want to take you somewhere.” He said, taking my hand and leading me out of the building.

I kept on looking over my shoulder as we left; making sure no one was following us so we wouldn’t get in trouble with Mr. Schue.

Ryder lead me out of the building and pulled me down the street, looking straight ahead and avoiding people as best as he could on the busy street. I, however, wanted to look at everything around me and was lagging behind Ryder.

Ryder finally stopped at an over-crowded fountain with benches around the sides. The fountain was huge (and it reminded me of the fountain from Friends.).Ryder wrapped his arm around my waist and lead me down the nearby path, taking me away from the fountain.

He stopped at a large bench and sat down, crossing his legs and getting himself comfy. “We’re just going to chill here for a while.” Ryder said, putting his arm around me as I sat down.

I stared ahead for a couple of minutes, watching people pass me by, texting or walking their dogs. “Marls, we’ll be coming down here every day next year, okay?” Ryder whispered, nuzzling his nose against my cheek. “Ryder,” I sighed. “Why haven’t we been talking about your future? I mean, it’s been all about me...”

“Because mine isn’t such a big deal.” Ryder said, nodding his head. “It’s a big deal to me.” I said, flicking my head to face him. “Well, I got into a college around the corner.” He shrugged. “What? When?” I shouted, a large smile on my face. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Because I didn’t think it was a big deal.” Ryder shrugged. “A big deal? Ryder, this is incredible! Oh, my God! We’re coming to New York together!” I shouted, leaning forward and kissing Ryder softly. “Wow.” Ryder whispered, pulling away from me slightly and stroking my face lightly.