Chapter 72 - Soldier

The next day, after that traumatic experience with Quinn and Rachel, Ryder took me out to the mall to spend some good quality time with me- his words.

After getting a hot chocolate from some random shop that Ryder didn’t know the name of, we began walking around, browsing in different shops with Ryder being a douchebag and taking photos of him with nearly every piece of clothing.

“Ryder,” I said, pulling him out of the tenth shop he’s been in just to try on hats. “You’ve taken enough selfies for today.” I grabbed his hand and walked along the mall, looking at the nearby shops.

“You could never take enough selfies, Marley.” Ryder said, shaking my arm lightly. “Nobody could live without selfies; they’re the world’s best invention.”

“Says you.” I laughed, looking over at him and nudging his ribs lightly. “Hey, Ryder,” I said during a small silence that we had. “Can I talk to you for a moment?” I asked, stopping him in his tracks and pressing my forehead against his. “You’re talking to me now.” Ryder nodded, kissing my cheek lightly. I giggled and brushed my hair behind my ear. “No, like, can we sit down and have a discussion about... something.”

Ryder’s smile faded and he nodded, pulling back and scanning the area of the mall we were in for a table. He spotted a bench a couple of metres away and dragged me over there, taking my hand tightly. He sat down and put his arm around me, staring blankly ahead.

“I want to talk to you about us- and getting married.” I said confidently, trying to hide my smile. Ryder frowned and looked down at me, kissing my forehead lightly. “You’ve made up your mind?” Ryder asked quietly. I nodded and sat up straighter, wiping my mouth to hide my smile. “I-I-I want to get married as soon as possible.”

“What?” Ryder shouted, sitting up and smiling. “I, Marley Rose, want to get married to you, Ryder Lynn, after graduation.”

“Oh, my God.” Ryder grinned, leaning forward and taking my face in his hands. He leaned down and kissed me softly, touching my hair lightly. “I-I-I-I don’t know what to say.” Ryder mumbled as our lips parted slightly. I giggled and nodded, nestling my head against his cheek. “Why’d you make up your mind? How?”

“Quinn and Rachel’s disapproval made me see how much I do want to get married to you.” I whispered, grabbing both of Ryder’s hands and rubbing them lightly with my thumbs. Ryder chuckled. “I’m really happy right now.” Ryder said quietly. “In about 4 weeks, you will be my wife; Mrs Lynn.”

“And, also in 4 weeks, we’ll be done with school forever.” I replied sadly. Ryder frowned and looked away from me. He looked back and smiled. “But now is a time to be happy. We’re getting married and no one is going to stop us.”

I nodded and gave him a hug, resting my head against his chest. “Hey, Marls,” Ryder whispered, kissing my hair lightly. “Could I tell you something?”

I pulled away and looked him up and down. “Sure.” I whispered, blinking my eyes a couple of times. Ryder showed a half smile and stood up, wrapping his arm around my waist.

He lead me around the mall until we reached the car park and he lead me to his bright red car. He walked to the passenger side and opened the door for me. I smiled and sat in, watching Ryder run around the other side and sit in his seat, taking a deep breath.

“Are you okay?” I asked, sliding my hand across to him and grabbing his tightly. “I-I-I just- we’ve been dating for a really long time and I can‘t believe I haven’t told you this.” Ryder said quietly, staring straight ahead. I was hoping that he hadn’t cheated on me when we first got together... that would have broken my heart.