Chapter 62 - You Set Me Free

With the whole NYADA business, I kind of forgot about what was going on with Angie and Ryder... until I heard Angie on the phone when I came back from school.

“Yeah, Ryder,” I followed her voice and was led to her room, where she was lying on the bed and staring at the ceiling. I stood against the wall, listening into her conversation. “Not really.... yeah.... I don’t know, Ryder... Ryder, he’s going to be so mad.... listen, this has happened before and there seemed to be- yeah, sorry... I just can’t help but think this is my fault, Ryder... okay, bye...”

Angie sighed heavily and I stared at the wall in front of me, trying to piece together this situation... but like last time, I was blank.

“Ange?” I said, poking my head around the door and peering into her room. “Oh, um, hi, Marls,” She said, pulling a smile. She sat up on her elbows and threw her phone on the ground. “Hey.” I smiled, leaning against the door frame. “You alright?” I asked, nodding to her.

She nodded and sat up, resting her back against the headboard of the bed. “Hey, Ange, what happened yesterday?” I asked, crossing my arms. “I’m just curious.”

“Oh, yeah,” Angie replied quietly. “I’m sorry about telling you to go away and shut up. I was just throwing up and I was dizzy.” She whispered. I nodded and smiled, being too scared to ask her how Ryder was involved in this.

“Hey, you kind of darted away this morning after looking in the mailbox. What was that about?” Angie asked, swinging her legs off of her bed and slowly standing up, wobbling over slightly before grabbing onto the wall. “Oh, I had to show something to Ryder about... NYADA.” I mumbled, rubbing my hands against my arms. “Oh, what happened there?” She asked, a small smile coming onto her face as she sat back down.

“I got in.” I smiled, looking up at her. “Really?” Her eyes wide and her smile was the largest I’d seen it in a week. “Yeah.” I sighed, blushing lightly. “Oh, my God! Good job, Marls!” She said, clapping her hands together excitedly.

I smiled and came over to her, sitting down next to her on the bed. She gave me a hug from the side. “I’m sorry again for telling you to shut up. And for being really rude and secretive lately. I’m just a bit... stressed with some things.” She whispered. I shrugged. “I-It’s fine.”

I wanted to ask her what was going on between her and Ryder, but I was scared. I was scared to know the truth because of last time. The last time Ryder told me the truth about what happened between him and a girl ended in heart break and I wasn’t ready to know that yet. Although I heavily doubted that Ryder would cheat on me again, I was scared...I knew I shouldn’t be, but I had this little voice in the back of my head telling me that I should be frightened... and that little voice sounded like Kitty.

***

The next morning, I walked into Glee club last as I spent a while looking around the hallway for Ryder. I couldn’t find him, so I just walked straight to Glee club, where I saw Ryder sitting out the back of the classroom with Angie.

I walked in and sat next to Ryder, kissing his cheek lightly. “Hey, babe,” He whispered, putting an arm around my shoulders and kissing my hair. “Hi.” I whispered, smiling up at him.

“What are you guys talking about?” I asked quietly, looking between them. “I was just reading over some of Angie’s songs.” Ryder nodded in her direction and she bit her lip. “Um, yeah.” Angie shrugged. “I finished You Set Me Free last night.”

“Oh, cool, I’ll have to hear it.” I smiled, looking down at her notebook, finding more scribbles over the two pages she had open. As soon as she caught me staring, she shut her book and sent me a small smile.