-2-

Chapter Two | A Heated Nightmare

Pyro's P.O.V.

I thought once the first day of being in heat was over, it would be somewhat of smooth sailing, but I was wrong. The new morning only brought more misery. Being in heat took more of a toll on me than I thought, draining me physically and mentally.

Everything that brushed against me sent my body into a heated frenzy. Sex and being claimed was on my mind the whole night, and those weren't even my thoughts. I spent most of the night submerged in water because my body felt like it was in hell. The worst part was that my inner beast howl the entire night.

From what my mother and the other female members say, the first year is the hardest. The body is getting used to going in and out of heat. The thought of going through this every month, three to four nights of no damn sleep, is going to kill me.

Why couldn't my brother go through this instead of me? Being a teenager already has its problems. I don't need this on top of it.

My mother admired my strong scent, even pointing out how I could attract a potential mate with ease. I nearly died when she told me that. If there are two things in this world that I did not want to happen, it would be finding a mate and going through this.

While my mother was in admiration with my scent, my father was worried about attracting unwanted attention from rogues. Since yesterday evening he has been debating whether to have the family join a pack. The safety of the entire family will be at stake if rogues catch my scent. In my father's mind, if I am going to attract a mate, it will be one of value and power.

Me telling them that I didn't want a mate just went in one ear and out the other. I didn't understand why they were so keen on me having a mate. Why can I be alone and mateless? I'm much happier that way.

I stared at the ceiling, keeping my body still as a rock. My inner wolf finally stopped howling, and I thought I could get some rest before she started back up.

There was a soft knock at the door before it slowly swung open. It was my sister, Ylva.

"Mom wants you to come downstairs," she said, standing in the doorway. An expression of concern played on her face as she watched me.

"What for," I asked her.

I didn't want to make the journey downstairs. Ylva shrugged her shoulders, and I groaned, slowly getting out of bed.

"I'll be down in a minute."

She nodded and closed my door. I heard her say that my scent was stronger than hers. I sniff my shirt but smelled nothing. Do I smell that bad? I changed my shirt to a fresh, clean one and headed downstairs. My mother was in the kitchen, fixing her lunch before she heads to work.

"You wanted to see me?" I ask her.

She nodded, then turned to look at me. "How are you feeling?" she asked.