-55-

CHAPTER 55 | I GOT YOUR BACK
Ylva's P.O.V.

It had been months since my family had seen my brother and no clue to his whereabouts. The same goes for Jesse. They seem to vanish into thin air. The pack has been doing everything in their power to find them, even requesting help from neighboring packs, but nothing.

With all the help we have been getting for the past few months, we weren't any closer to finding them. The thought of them being captured by rouges for ransom was at the top of the list. Then we have Tasha, who might be involved in their disappearance. Everyone's resources were running dry, and the hope of finding them grew dim each passing day.

My parents assist that my brothers and I focus on our lives while they continue to search for Pyro. That was easier said than done.

I made my way down to the kitchen where my mother used to cook like clockwork. Now a space with no life, void of joy. However, our mother tries to cook us a home cook meal, but we would instead cook a television dinner. It wouldn't feel right to eat a meal made by her with him there. We are already missing a member who went into a jealous rage.

"I hope he is okay," I whispered to myself, hoping the goddess herself is keeping watch over him, "please, be okay."

I watched as my turkey and mashed potatoes with gravy television dinner slowly spun in the microwave. The microwave's buzzing noise as it cooks my meal seems to be the only other noise besides the clocks.

Time seems to run slower when I am alone.

Sometimes I wish Pyro's secret was still a secret and that Tasha wasn't so jealous of Pyro. Maybe then we would have still been a family, but that was just wishful thinking. Tasha would never be okay with Pyro being a white wolf, and her being a howler made her even more dangerous.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang, echoing throughout the house, pulling me out of my thoughts. I quickly made my way to the foyer, where the doorbell rang a second time—looking through the peephole to see nobody there. Opening the door to see if someone was walking back down the driveway, no one was in sight.

My wolf felt a little uneasy as I closed the door and locked it. The air suddenly became thicker as I made my way back into the kitchen before hearing the ding of the microwave.

"What the heck?"

I stopped in mid-stride when I saw that my food was taken out of the microwave and placed on the counter, opened. A woody scent lingered in the air, trailing into the dark dining room. I couldn't see who it was, but I was sure someone was in there.

"What do you want," I called out as I grabbed the sharpest knife in my mother's kitchen collection and gripped it tightly, "I can smell you."

"Tasha told us that your sense of smell was top-notch," said a deep husky voice within the shadows in the dining room, "but she didn't say that you were this pretty or would be alone for the taking."

The sound of his voice sent a cold chill down my spine. What scared me was he meant what he said. Yet, it still shocks me that Tasha would want to hurt her own family.

"I have orders to kill you," he went on to explain, his voice getting deeper with each word he spoke. The wooden scent grew thicker, which only meant he was starting to shift, "but I think for someone as beautiful as you should carry my seed."

Fear slowly crept up my back, yet I could help but think of what Pyro felt. I wonder if this is what he felt like waking up every morning—wondering if some stranger would claim him.

"So let's make this as easy for you as you can," he went on to say as he came out from the shadows. He was massive compared to my small frame, "Oh, don't try to run. I have two guys waiting in the woods just in case, but you can try."