[24] save me • pt. 3

"Garroth!"

I shoot up to the sounds of Aphmau's voice, waking me from that horrid nightmare. I have tears streaming down my cheeks. I look over at Aphmau and hug her tightly.

Thank Irene she's not dead.

The image flashes into my mind and more tears slip out of my eyes, and I hug Aphmau tighter. She hugs back, despite me getting her shirt wet with my tears and my hyperventilating.

"Calm down Garroth, calm down. It was just a nightmare." She whispers, and I attempt to slow my breath. I pull away from the hug and curl my knees up to my chest, but Aphmau immediately pushes them back down.

"No, you can't cry into your knees. It makes things worse. You were yelling
things in your sleep, mainly my name for some reason. Thank Irene it didn't wake up the boys. What in Irene's name happened?" Her eyes were normal and not souless, but they weren't filled with the usual excitement that they had.

They were filled with worry.

"I-I-I..." I muttered under my breath, trying to regain myself.

"It's all your fault."

"Say goodbye to your beloved, brother."

"You have to look at everything you've acheived."

More tears came streaming down and I covered my face, and Aphmau took them away, passing me a tissue.

"It was just a nightmare Garroth, I'm fine. Whatever happened in that nightmare is nothing." Aphmau engulfed me in a hug again, and whispered gently into my ear. But nothing worked.

My rapid breathing, endless tears, and flashbacks of the absolutely terrifying nightmare replaying over and over in my mind.

"Do you want to take a walk outside? It might make you feel better, even though it's one in the morning and everything, but if it makes you feel better." Aphmau pulled away from the hug and smiled at me, then took the dry tissue she gave me from my hands and used it to wipe away my tears.

"You look sad when you cry, it hurts to see you sad." She frowned, and I just blankly stared at mattress.

"We don't have school tomorrow, since it's Lady Irene day." Aphmau placed both her hands on my shoulders, and I contemplated.

Lady Irene day was the day Lady Irene stopped the war. A marvelous day celebrated city-wide.

"I-I-I-I-I..." I stutter and trail off, and Aphmau shakes her head.

"Come on, let's go take a walk."

•••

"What happened in that nightmare?" Aphmau intertwined her fingers with mine, and my heart raced a mile per hour, veins flooding with nerves.

Why did I agree to go on this walk?

Well, anything's better than living through that nightmare again.

"I'd rather not talk about it." I mumble, and Aphmau nods.

"Understandable." She says, and I smile at her understanding.

"Come on, let's go carve something on a tree." She smiles while running off to a nearby tree, and I laugh.

"What?" I ask, and she turns around, her beautiful grin brightening up the dark surroundings of the wee hours of the morning.

She was wearing a galaxy jumper, and little denim shorts, and hightops. I was wearing jeans and a navy blue hoodie with a white "G" imprinted on the back, as well as just some black sneakers.

She motioned for me to follow, and I rolled my eyes and obliged. I walked over and she had a sharp rock in her hand, and was using it like a pencil to carve something into the tree. I tried to look but she quickly covered it.

"No peeking!" She giggled, and I rolled my eyes and leaned against the tree. I closed my eyes, and a flash of white- the same white as my brother's demonic eyes- appeared. I immediately opened them in fear that it'll replay, when Aphmau tapped me on the shoulder.

"I'm done!" She grinned, and I got off the tree and looked at the area where Aphmau had carved.

It read:

"The Garmau Tree".

"Why is it called the Garmau tree?" I laughed, and she grinned; jumping up and down.

"So that when one of us wants the other's company, but they aren't around at the time- since this park was so near to our house- either of us can come here and you can feel comfortable because this is our shared tree." Aphmau excitedly shared her idea, and I smiled and pat her head.

"Do you like it Garroth?" She asked, and I grinned.

"I love it."

I love you more though.

"Yay! Oh wait, follow me. I wanna show you something." She grabbed my wrist after gently putting the rock she used in front of the tree, and pulled me away. We walked for about five minutes before we reached a few trees grown in a circle.

Aphmau turned her head and smiled at me; obviously ecstatic. She pushed away some leaves and it revealed a circular grass patch in the middle of the trees.

She dragged me to the centre of the circle, and then lay down. She motioned for me to lay down beside her, so I did.

She shifted closer to me and laced her fingers with mine, and her hazel eyes glistened under the moonlight.

"I come here all the time to stargaze. The sky's always really pretty. It's always been my secret, but I've been waiting to share it with the right person." She explained, both of us staring at the night sky.

"So you think I'm the right person?" I ask, and she turns her body to look at me, and then nuzzles her face into my side, as if she were to fall asleep any second.

"I think you're the perfect person."

And with that, she closes her eyes and drifts off, and I gently turn to face her, and now her face is nuzzled in my chest. I gingerly wrap my arms around her and pull her closer. We fall asleep to the sound of the wind causing the leaves to rustle and the slight twinkling of the stars.