[46] unreal • pt. 4

-Aphmau-

It was all a blur.

There were sirens,

mumbles,

doctors,

a car crash,

Garroth,

and lots and lots of tears;

of which are still streaming down my cheeks.

"Miss Aphmau Phoenix?" I hear my name being called, and my head jerks up, along with Laurance's and Dante's.

"Aphmau, I'm so sorry. I'm so, so sorry. I was forced to do that or Azura was going to tell my secret."

"That you're-"

"Yes, that I'm adopted."

"But why is that so bad?"

"Phoenix Drop High kids find adopted kids... Fake."

"But why?"

"They think we say that so that we can purposely act emotional because our parents don't care."

At least Laurance had moral value.

"You may see him, but please know he's in a coma." Each word that the doctor uttered felt like a stab in the heart.

He's

in

a

coma.

"T-T-T-Thank you." I stammer, Dante and Laurance helping me off my chair.

"Do you want us to escort you to the door in case you fall over or..." Dante asked, and I shook my head.

"I-It's o-o-o-okay." I make my way to the door, my legs trembling in fear.

Come on Aph, you're strong.

You have to be strong for Garroth.

He was strong for you.

I placed my hand on the handle of the door, bracing myself for the sight. I open the door and nearly collapsed.

Garroth was on a bed, his eyelids shut and his sandy-blonde hair dishelved and messy. He had cuts and bruises all over his face, and many wires were attached to him, giving him the essence to live. He had a bandage wrapped around his head, but there weren't many other injuries, and his supposed head injury didn't look too bad.

One thing stood out.

His eyelids were shut, and he looked motionless, besides his chest rising from his breathing.

He might just be sleeping right?

He can't be in a...

The doctor already said he was.

It's too difficult to believe.

"We'll keep him on life support for a week, and then I'm afraid we'll have to let him go if he can't wake up in time." The doctor said, and my heart shattered further, from it's already broken state.

A week.

Seven days.

Before he dies.

No, no, no.

He has to wake up.

He has to.

I walk over to his bedside, trying not to collapse.

It's all my fault.

I gingerly lift his fragile hand, and place it on mine.

"G-G-Garroth, p-p-please wake up." I trembled, my body shaking with fear. The tears rolled down my cheeks and onto the bed, dampening the material.

"P-P-Please." I said inbetween shaky breaths, when I felt a hand on my back.

"I'm sorry Aphmau." Laurance said, and I just spill out more tears.

What would I do without Garroth?

What?

"A w-week Laurance! One week! I can't..." I was unabashedly crying, clinging onto Garroth's arm and I cried into the bed.

"Aphmau..." Dante mumbled, and I could feel Laurance shake his head sadly.

"I-It's a-all my f-fault!" I sobbed, and Laurance sighed. I felt his arms wrap around my torso, hugging me tight.

"It's not your fault Aphmau." Dante said, and I nodded.

"I-It i-i-is." I stumbled over my words, unable to speak clearly due to being a sobbing wreck with a broken heart.

"Garroth had a screwed up past, yet he kept all that under a facade. We have to be strong for him, Aphmau. He'll pull through." Laurance said, and I sat up to look at Garroth closely.

"Laurance, no one is stronger than Garroth." I say, finally managing to get a stable sentence out of my mouth. I turned my head to face them, and both nodded in agreement.

"Which is why we need to believe he'll wake up, because he's stronger than anyone we've ever known." Laurance unwrapped his arms from around me, the comfort of his arms and the sincerity of the words he said lingering in my mind for awhile.

I have to be strong.

He was strong.

I might never be as strong as him;

but I can't give up.