[49] smile for him

-Aphmau-

"Ten is the latest, Miss Phoenix. I'm so sorry for your loss." The doctor talked about it like it was doomed already.

The tears began to brim my eyes again, slowly falling.

I just want him back.

I suddenly felt a vibration in my pocket, and I took out my phone, my left hand never leaving its position on Garroth's arm.

Laurance: It was Zenix and his gang plus Brightport.

Aphmau: Azura?!?!

Laurance: Yeah, in that car. Gene was driving, and the rest were eager to see Garroth in pain.

Aphmau: So they set this all up?

Laurance: Azura used me before she talked to Zenix's gang.

Aphmau: And then?

Laurance: Zenix found out and asked her, and she accepted.

Aphmau: Asked her what?

Laurance: Whether she wanted to see Garroth suffer.

Aphmau: Was she always like this?

Laurance: No, she...

Aphmau: ?

Laurance: She got corrupted in someway, I'm not sure. But after Sophomore year, after she told Garroth and he rejected because of his non-belief, she kinda went insane.

Aphmau: Woah.

Laurance: Yeah, it's messed up.

Aphmau: Were they arrested?

Laurance: Yeah, court case a week after prom.

Aphmau: Wow.

Laurance: I gotta go, sorry. I hope Garroth wakes up. Bye Aphmau.

Aphmau: Thanks, your support means a lot. Bye.

I put down my phone and look back at Garroth's face, the bandage that was previously around his head was not there anymore, and most of the cuts and bruises were healing quickly. I could only imagine how bad his chest was, considering the millions of injuries he had and recovered from in that area.

I blinked back the tears threatening to spill out from that very thought.

"Please wake up. Please." I close my eyes and mumble to myself, and then I lean forward and lie on Garroth's chest.

He doesn't flinch, obviously because he's unconcious, and I can hear his heart beating.

It was a comforting sound.

•••

"Aph, the homework." I hear Laurance open the two doors to Garroth's room, and I sit back up straight and turn around.

"Thanks." I smile weakly, trying to hide the internal pain and my tears. I had some rolling down my cheeks, but I didn't bother to wipe them away.

"Aphmau, you don't have to put on a facade in front of me." Laurance frowns, taking a tissue from a nearby tissue box and wiping away tears that were falling. I sniffed, dumping the papers on the floor.

"I just want him back, Laurance." I mutter, using my right hand to caress his pale cheek.

"I j-just w-w-want him back." I start to stumble over my words as the tears fall faster and harder, remembering his smile and his laugh, remembering his blue eyes that I could get lost just gazing into, the taste of his lips,

just him.

I may never see those again.

I cry more furiously at the thought, my mind suddenly realising that there were only a few hours before they took him off life support.

"P-P-Please G-G-G-Garroth, y-you h-have to w-wake up." I'm shaking, and Laurance is rubbing my back, but it's not helping much. My entire body was quivering with fear, my mind spilling endless taunts that Garroth wasn't going to live.

"If me dying means you living, how could that be anything but good?"

"I...I-I love you."

"Garroth p-please, I-I-I love you." I say inbetween shaky breaths, and Laurance bends down beside me, and tuens me towards him. He wips away my tears with a tissue he has in his hand, and puts both his hands on my shoulders.

"Listen, Garroth will make it. You have to believe, that now is six, and if they take him off life support at ten, he'll live. You have to smile for Garroth, Aphmau, because O'khasis the hero over there saved your life so you could smile." He said, and I nodded, and gave a weak smile despite the pain I felt inside.

"That's the Aphmau I know. You know, he told me once that he would do anything for you, and I think he proved his point." Laurance smiled at me, and I wiped away a forming tear.

"When I was under Zenix's control, I still had a small piece of me in the back of my mind. And that day at the cafeteria, when I tried to hit on you, I could see how irritated and jealous Garroth seemed. And then you walked over to him and whispered something, and he smiled. Even in sophomore, when I said something everyone else found funny, he wouldn't even crack a small smile." Laurance rambled, and I looked over at the motionless Garroth, remembering the first time I made him smile.

"Hurry up before Laurance runs over and begs me for his hand in marriage after he recovers from my kick."

He thought I couldn't see it, but I could, and it made me very happy that he smiled, even after claiming he was a grumpy person, and seeing him when I took the first step into that classroom.

"I gotta go, Cadenza's wants be back in ten minutes. Bye, I'll pray." Laurance stands up and waves, and dashes out the door.

I shift my stool closer to Garroth's face, and I place one hand gently on his neck.

I feel my eyes start to fill with tears as I lean down and kiss him, but what happened next I never expected.

I felt a hand being placed on my head, pulling me closer to Garroth, and another around my neck.

But these weren't any hands, I recognised them.

These were his hands.