Chapter 9

The next day at work I receive flowers. A dozen of roses. I read the card:
Just thinking of you today and everyday. Call me when you can. I love you.
Love always, Mom.

     Holy crap I haven't talked to my mom in a while. I really need to set my priorities straight. I was kind of hoping those were from Blake though. What an ass. And I'm an ass for wanting them to be from him. Anyway, I'll give her a call later.

Blake and I have been texting here and there. He tells me that he's got his son until Sunday night. I think of the boredom I'll have to endure later. I wish we could chill today but I understand that he needs to get his bonding time in with his son. Sigh. How can I be so selfish.

After work I stop to get something to eat and head home. "Hello!" I yell when I come through the door. "Hey!" Nicki peeks her head out of my bedroom. I go upstairs to meet her. "What are you doing?" I ask her as I set my food on my nightstand and lay down on my bed. "Getting ready for tonight." She tells me. "Eh, its still kind of early.. Don't you think?" I ask. "Yes. But, I just want my outfit and make up to be on point. And I'm borrowing clothes. Again." She looks at me for approval. "Yeah, that's  fine. You nervous?"
"Fuck yeah."

"Better act right." I joke.

"Shuttup." She laughs. "I will."

"I hope you guys work out. So we could go to games and on dates together. Then you'll be thee ultimate bestestfriend eveerrr." I say trying to sound like the guy who does voice over for super hero action figure commercials or some shit.

"Shut the fuck up." We burst into laughter.

"Nah, it'll be fine though. Don't stress it."

"OK. I'm going to wear this." She comes out of the closet wearing my black dress. It's short and has see through laced sides. I totally forgot I had that dress. I kind of don't want her to wear it now. Oh well, she needs it. She puts some black heels on to go with it.

"Yes. That looks good. Gonna make him want to put a baby in you. Tonight." I joke.

"Staaahhppp!" She says.

"See, and this is how you always talk to me. Now you know how I feel beyotch." I laugh.

"I'm sorry. Forgive me."

"You have been forgiven."

"I'm so nervous. I kind of want to call my mom."

"Your mom? Shit!" I remembered I was going to call my mom.

Nicki jumps. "What?" She asks.

"My mom. Sent me flowers today. I told myself I'd call her. Dang, I haven't spoken to her since I moved out here."
"Bitch you scared me."

"I'm sorry." I say as I type my mom's number in my phone. Ring.... Ring.... Riiiingg. She finally answers. "Hello?" She says on the other line.
"Mommy!"

"Ally cat! Finally you call."

"I know, I'm sorry. I've been rather.. busy as of late.... I have to tell you something."

"Whaat? Tell me." By the sound of her voice I can tell she's truly curious.

"I met someone."

She gasps. "Aaliyah. Who is he?"

"Well.." I pause. "He's a professional basketball player. In the NBA. Obviously."

"What? Who?"

"His name is Blake Griffin."

"Has he been good to you so far? How long have you been together?"

"A little over a week now and yes he has been good to me. Very good."