Chapter 18

My flight leaves right after work. I put my luggage in the back and take it to work with me. My mind is everywhere today. I don't have time to change into my civilians. I have to make a quick stop to pick up Nicki as well. I'm ready for the work day to be over. I'm excited to go home. I rush around at work and get as much done as I can. I spent the day yesterday with Blake before he left for a game in Portland. We made plans for him to come visit on the 28th. It's going to be a long week ahead of me.

After work I head back to the house to pick up Nicki and we drive to the airport. "Are you excited?" Nicki asks. "Hell yeah. Ready for my mama's love and cooking." I reply. "Aw, I know she misses you. Every time me and Des would go over to visit she'd say 'I like when you girls come over. It reminds me of the good ol' days when my baby was home.' Then we'd feel bad for leaving after that."

"I can't wait to surprise her. She's going to scream all loud."

"At the top of her lungs." We both laugh at the thought. We arrive at the airport, park the car and go inside.

    It feels good to be on a plane headed home. Although we have to get on connecting flights. I read books and magazines to kill time. I listen to a playlist Blake made for me on my phone. I eventually take a cat nap on the flight that leads us home. "Aaliyah! We're going down!" Nicki startles me awake. I look around and everybody is staring at us. "I'm just kidding, we're landing." She says. "You're a fucker. You probably scared some of the others."

"Well they need to get a sense of humor." She says in a bitch tone.

"Calm down hormones. You're a bitch hormones." I quote Seth Rogen's character on knocked up.

"I know. I better simmer down."

"Please stay seated as we are landing." A stewardess says over the intercom.

"Ugh, fuck I hate this part." I brace myself in my seat as the plane bounces around.

     We pick our bags up from luggage. "Who is even coming to get us?" I ask. "Desi." Nicki replies. "Really?" I give her a blank stare. "What? Everyone else was busy."

"Did you tell anyone I was coming?"

"No."

"So, Desi doesn't know I'm coming?"

"No. I didn't know if you wanted me to tell anyone or not."

"Well this is going to be awkward."

"She's outside waiting right now."

I look at the time, it's 9pm. I hope my mom isn't sleeping. We head outside and see Desi parked at the curb. "Ohh, you came home too?" She says. "Yeah, I could get another ride."

"Stop. Quit trying to drag the bullshit on. I'm sorry I left and for whatever else I did. What's done is done. Do you forgive me?"

"Why are you apologizing now? When you had all them chances to when you would talk to Nicki knowing damn well I was in the room. And you have my number."

"Because I know you. And I know you wouldn't have talked to me had I asked or answered my calls, texts. Like I said what's done is done. It is what it is. And I'm sorry. Do you forgive me?"

"I suppose."

"Hug?" She reaches out and we hug.

"Get my bags."

"Bitch." She laughs. She opens the trunk so we could put our bags in. We start the 45 minute drive to my house. "Oh my gosh your mom is going to be surprised as fuck. I was just at her house the other day. She was talking about how you were trying to come home for Christmas."