Chapter 17

"How was Malibu?" Jess asks. "Bitch, don't get me started." I say. "Tell meee." She says eagerly. I tell her what happened and how Blake was waiting at my steps this morning. "Bitch, you should've left it alone. There must've been a reason." She says.

"Probably so she wouldn't tell me all the shit she told me."

"Do you believe it though? I mean she could be lying. She's probably just mad because you all up on her baby daddy."

"He was over there though a few nights ago. From, like, maybe 8pm to 11pm. I don't know. I'm washing my hands of it. I'm done with all that."

"So you broke up with him?"

"Yep."

"Has he ever bought you anything expensive?"

"No, bitch. I never asked him to buy me shit."

"Why? I would've."

"Because I'm not that type of person." I laugh.

"But you ask me to pay for your lunch."

"Bitch, thats different. And you owe me." We laugh.

The work day is over and I start my drive home. I don't even want to check my phone. I throw it in the glove compartment. I notice the radio is playing dumb ass break up songs. I turn it off and ride in silence. As I pull up to my house I see Blake sitting on my steps, again. "Fuck." I say to myself. As much as I don't want to, I get out of my car. "Can we talk?" He says as I approach. "If it'll get you off my steps." I reply. He doesn't say anything. "What?" I ask annoyed. "I'm sorry about last night. I was drunk as fuck."

"What the fuck am I going to do with a sorry? Save your sorries. I'm never going to get along with your 'family'. Why would you want to be with someone who can't get along with the family? So, you don't have to ditch your son anymore and I'm sure you don't have to beg to go over to her house anymore."

"What did she say to you?"

"She said that you beg her go over to her house and that I'm keeping you from your son."

"Bullshit. I don't beg to go to her house."

"Do you ditch your son to be with me?"

"No. The only reason I couldn't make it on Halloween was because it got late, past his bedtime. That's why I went to go see him the next day. At first she said I couldn't see him. I continuously apologized and she eventually said that I could come over. He fought his sleep and didn't go to bed until after 10:30 that night. That's when I came to see you. The only reason I call her family is because she's my son's mother, and as much as I wish she would, she's not going anywhere. I have to deal with her for the rest of my life. Look, everything she said to you, however she put it, isn't true. I'm not trying to be with her. I'm trying to be with you. She's mad because I broke up with her when she was trying to make it work. We just didn't click, it didn't work out. And she just so happened to get pregnant after a night of drunk and unprotected sex. She's just my son's mother and that's all she'll ever be."

It kind of makes sense as he tells me. "You told me to leave in the middle of the night. I drove home, drunk, by myself."

He gets up from the steps and tries to hug me. I break away from his embrace. "I'm sorry, I know my sorries don't change anything but I just want you to know. Before I left the kitchen I told you to wait while I went to figure things out with Brynn. I tried to stop you but you were already down the drive way. I was worried about you all night. I didn't sleep yet actually. I don't know. After you sent that text, it hurt. I had to come and try to make things right. To be honest, I do see a future with you. You, one day bearing my last name. One day, swollen pregnant, carrying my baby. I never pictured a future with someone before like I do with you. And to me that really says something."