Chapter One

"You know who he looks like?....."Wheelchair Jimmy" yo, from Degrassi, that boy is all types of fine." Genesis, my older cousin spoke into her phone.

I laid on my back trying to read a novel in my room while my obnoxious cousin spoke to God Knows who on the line. I had to share a room with her for a while because she decided it would be absolutely splendid to burn her parents house down by leaving a hot curling iron on the mink rug in her bedroom. I swore, her brain cells must have all died, because her intelligence just did not seem to exist.

"No bitch he's like 18" she continued her conversation, while laying on the other bed in the room. "I just know he'll like me, all boys that look like him like us light skinned girls."

And with that, I left the room. I hated when Genesis brought her complexion into a conversation. Of course I found her beautiful beyond comprehension, however she believed that her Beauty was because of the fact that she was light skinned. It really made me mad to hear her say things like that. Did she think that I was inferior to her because I was a darker shade of brown? Did she think that I was ugly because of my skin tone?

I put those negative thoughts aside and continued to read my novel to myself. The words on the page didn't make sense to me after a while, when I began to drift off into a deep sleep on the porch hammock.

*I know when that Hotline Bling*

My phone began ringing, waking me from my sleep. I quickly picked up in hopes that it was my boyfriend Justin.

"Good afternoon" I said, trying to sound as alert as possible.

"Hi Baby Love" answered Justin, in his deep masculine voice. He's Australian so he sounded so beautiful all the time.

"hi Bae, done with class already?" I asked, surprised that it was actually him.

"Yeah, the professor let me out class early cuz we have finals in a few weeks." Yup Justin is a college student, 18 years old and white. I mean blonde hair, blue eyes, tall white boy. My mother loved him, but my father thinks that all white People are "no good".

"amber...." I was snapped out of my thoughts by Justin's voice. "Did you hear me."

"No, can you say that again." I tried hiding the embarrassment in my voice.

" Baby, I said I'm coming to your house in a bit to pick you up, wear something pretty." I can imagine his smile and he said this.

I blushed at his words. Not that one would actually notice since I'm dark skinned. " okay, I will"

"See you later" he continued, " and remember that... I l..."
I hung up on him then, I hated saying 'I love you'. It was never my thing.. People always thought that it was cute, but I found it sappy and irrelevant.

I threw my book to the side, quickly got out of the hammock and ran into the bathroom to get ready for whatever Justin planned for us.

Once I was showered and brushed my teeth, I began flat ironing my hair. Justin hated when it's curly. He thought it was too kinky, and that straight hair is more appealing. He even tried to convince me to get a relaxer, but I quickly shut him down. I loved my curly hair, and if he likes it straight, then I'll wear it straight when I'm around him, but I'd never permanently change myself for a temporary person.

After all my hair was straight, I went into the room where Genesis still spoke to her friend on the phone.

"I'm leaving" I said to her. While walking into my closet to look for my long, white spaghetti strapped dress. That way I  could look casual and formal enough at the same time. After minutes of no luck. " Genesis where's my white spaghetti strapped dress?"

" In the hamper, I used it last week."

"Didn't ma'am wash last week? Why isn't it washed?"

"I don't know, just use one of mine"

I walked over to her side of the room and took out an navy blue dress with a dream catcher in the front. Not my favorite outfit, but it was a lot less slutty than the clothes she usually wore.
.....
Dressed and ready, I waited for the black Audi to pull up. Minutes went by, then hours, then the sun was no longer visible.

I went into the house feeling defeated.