Chapter Seventy

Prom.

The event that most teenage girls anticipate for their entire lives. The most important day of their lives. Not mine though. I was positive that I was not going to attend.

The door bell rang, and I moved from my seat to get the door. "What do you want Roger?" I smiled.

"You aren't going to prom?" Roger asked when I pulled the door open, to reveal him.

He looked quite dapper in a black tux and peach colored tie. His blond locks also seemed tamed for the first time in his life, and he looked quite unfamiliar. His mischievous smile was the only hint of the old Roger.

I took a moment to look him over, and smiled sadly to myself. "No. I don't really feel like attending."

"Is it because of Aubrey?" He asked, looking down at me with the most compassion I had ever seen him display.

I shook my head, then tilted it to the side, thinking. "It's always about him, isn't it?" I confessed.

I needed a distraction from not bursting into tears in front of Roger. "I'm sorry, um. Genesis. I'll get her." But I could barely catch his attention. He was staring towards the stairs in a daze, looking past me like a hypnotized man.

I reverted my attention to the figure he was staring at, and was equally astounded. Genesis approached us, wearing a peach colored mermaid dress that clung to her every curve perfectly. It was covered entirely in sequins, causing her to glimmer brightly as it caught the light. As she strolled elegantly toward us, the dress dragged behind her beautifully with each step. It was an off shoulder dress, allowing her much freedom to wear her small gold necklace, littered with diamonds, and the earrings to match. But despite all that, what stood out the most was the fact that Genesis wore her hair naturally. No straightener, no curling iron, no blow dryer, just as kinky and beautiful as I knew it was. She only pinned the back to keep with the elegant theme. It was the first time I had ever seen her wear her hair without altering the curls of texture.

When she finally arrived at the door, and I finally picked my jaw up from the floor, I spoke for Roger; who was still speechless. "You look, amazing Jen."

Roger only made an incomprehensible noise to concur with the information I had disclosed.

"Thank you, It means a lot." She gave me a hug, and turned toward Roger, with an even bigger smile, "Cats got your tongue?"

He grabbed her hand, placing a kiss on it before handing her a boutonniere to pin to his tux.

She giggled, and I felt like I was intruding on a private conversation that only Roger and Jen could understand.

"I would say 'you look beautiful', but you always do. I can't even describe how stunning you look." He decided to finally speak. She flushed, turning her pink cheeks even pinker.

"Thank you. You don't look too bad yourself." She complimented, placing her hand on his chest.

They stared at each other for several beats, before finally remembering that I was there.

"Oh Amber. Would you take a few pictures for us?" Roger asked me, pulling his phone out of his pocket, along with a beautiful corsage for Genesis.

I didn't resist. I had no problem taking pictures of them together, especially when they both looked so enamored by each other.

A few pictures later, they were both rushing out the door to get to the limo.

I peeked out the door at them instead of closing it. "I didn't realize how rainy it's been these past couple of days, I'm afraid my dress will get dirty." Jen stated, before Roger whisked her into his arm, carrying her toward the sleek black vehicle. She squealed in surprise, but quickly adjusted and threw her arms around Roger's neck.