Chapter EightyOne

All I saw was red as I held the card between my fingers. He stared at me for a minute, obviously thinking about whoever it was, that gave him their number.

Faint memories of a gorgeous redhead plagued my mind, but I wasn't quite sure about how her and the card were related. Somehow, I just knew it.

"So will you explain, or should I just assume?" I egged.

"It's nothing really. She put that in my pocket today when I went...."

Wait huh? "You went to see her?"

"You're not listening, I said I was picking up your stuff at the club and she happened to be there."

"Why didn't you leave? You didn't have to talk to her." I was furious. "And you didn't have to take her number!"

"I was waiting on your coat."

"And you thought it would be fine to just ask for her number?"

"Amber it's not like that." He sighed, clearly annoyed.

"What was it like then?" I asked him, standing directly in front of him.

"She's the club owners daughter, I didn't think much of it when she handed me the card." Aubrey added, "she just put it in my pocket."

"Yeah, right! You're so innocent huh? You 'didn't think much of it'." I air quoted with my fingers, to prove a point.

"No I didn't. I love you, not her, not anyone, you." He tried to convince me, but I was not easily swayed.

"It doesn't seem like it." I tore up the card into pieces. I was still fuming. Why did he keep her number?

"I do." He sighed, exasperated. "If you can't see that, you must be blind."

I folded my arms with a huff. I wasn't sure what made me react that way. We weren't even together. "If you loved me you wouldn't do something like that." I said, stomping my foot.

"You're right, I shouldn't have kept her number, but...You deny me, and deny me, and all I want to do is show you that I care. But you don't do anything to help me. I need to know if you want this too."

"You're deflecting!" I yelled, throwing my arms up in frustration.

"I know but I'm not lying, I don't even know where we stand." His hands ran over his face, then fell onto his lap. I knew what he was trying to do, but for some reason I could help but empathize with his frustrations.

"I just agreed to move in with you." I countered, and he shook his head.

"That's not fair, I forced that answer out of you, using sex." After the last word, his lips curled up into a half smile. "To get any answer out of you is really difficult."

"Well maybe you should have Sarah move in with you then, since I'm so difficult. Maybe you could call her right now!." I wanted to talk about someone else, not me.

"Relax." He calmly stated, taking my frustrated hands in his.

I was significantly calmer, but my face remained stale. He still had some explaining to do.