Chapter SeventyOne

... Nine Months Later...

Aubrey's POV

"Have you reached a verdict?" The room was silent, as the judge's voice echoed. I gulped audibly, my palms were sweating like crazy

One skinny man with wide framed glasses stood on shaky legs, "indeed, your honor..." he responded, adjusting the ugly spectacles.

"What say you?" She asked, entwining her manicured fingers together.

"We the jury, in the case of The City of Toronto versus Roy Woods, find the defendant....." the room fell even more silent. There was no sound coming from a single human being in the room. The clock ticked rhythmically, and I counted each beat as it drew out. "Guilty..."

I let out a breath that I wasn't aware of holding, and looked up. Did I hear them correctly? Did they say guilty?

Suddenly, the room erupted into screams of both protest and joy.

I however, was stunned into silence, as a rush of relief consumed me. Finally!

"Order, order in the court!" The judge sternly warned. My palms were sweating profusely, as I sat in my seat, staring fixedly at the back of Roy's head.

I was completely surprised with the outcome of the entire thing. The year was almost over and finally Roy was going to be put away, hopefully for good.

That was the only memory I could muster, as I packed up the rest of my belongings. It had already been three months since that day, and I was still thinking about it.

I could finally come out of hiding, and go back to the things that mattered, like my rekindled passion for music, my family, and last but certainly not least, Amber.

Amber's POV

"Oh My God! Go see him!" Kelly said, her eyes rolling dramatically.

"I don't want to..." I said, rolling my eyes at her.

"He's been fussing for the past hour." She said, her brown eyes piercing into my own.

"Okay, okay. You're right." I finally gave up, grabbing my keys off the dressing room table, and turning back to face the skinny girl.

Kelly was my roommate. Since I left Houston to go to London, she was the only person who completely accepted me. It was quite a relief when I found out that I'd be rooming with her.

"Good luck girl. I know he's a pain." She said, waving as I put on my slippers, and dragged my feet to the front door.

"Yeah, yeah, I'll be right back." I said as I closed the door behind me.

Attending university in a country miles from my home was eventful. For a fact, it was a lot less expensive than I initially thought it would have been, and I actually didn't miss Houston that much.

When my aunt Helga disclosed to me that I was accepted to attend one of the most prestigious schools in the country, I had quite a few mixed feelings. Firstly, she failed to inform me of her plan, and therefore caught me entirely off guard. Secondly, I had no idea that she had filled out an entire application for me, or had any intention of attending school overseas. Furthermore, I was not aware of the fact that I would be living on campus, two hours away from her house, which meant I'd rarely get to see her. All these issues were later resolved, when I flew in during the summer. My aunt allowed me to keep one of her three vehicles, so that I would be permitted to drive back and forth freely, and she insisted that it belonged to me, but I hardly ever used it, since she was always in London anyway. She worked as a well known doctor, whose husband was diagnosed with a severe case of Alzheimer's disease. She spent most of her days in the hospital, and frequently brought her husband in for treatment.