Chapter FortyOne

Aubrey's mother stood to greet us. Her long blonde hair cascaded down her shoulders in loose curls. An ankle length white dress that fit her body well, covered her small frame and she wore a warm smile.

We exchanged endless compliments, earning an eye roll from Aubrey.

"You're glad I left the house eh?" She teased him, causing me to heat up with slight embarrassment. Did she know what we did? I hoped she didn't.

"No, Mai. Of course not," he smiled, a very sarcastic smile.

Mrs. Gra I mean, Sandi pinched her son's cheek. She adored him, I could tell from this small action. I found myself gushing over them.

I couldn't wait for when our childre.... What? Amber, you're 18, what kids? When? Not in this lifetime. I had never wanted kids before, why was my subconscious mind trying to make me believe that I wanted them, or even worse, why was I even imagining adoring the creatures?

Oh! The picture I saw of baby Aubrey and his dad. It moved me, and I couldn't handle the cuteness so my subconscious self was trying to trick me into thinking that I wanted babies with Aubrey, which meant that it was....

"Amber?" Aubrey's mother asked. I was mind rambling again.

"Excuse me. What was that?" I asked turning my attention to the blonde.

She smiled sweetly and I mentally slapped myself for getting distracted. She folded her legs in her seat and repeated her statement.

"I said that I'm happy he found you."

I looked over to Aubrey who was busy staring back at me, "I'm glad he found me too."

"I was beginning to think that he was getting cold hearted, like his dad." She commented, reminding me that he was supposed to be at the table with us.

The waiter introduced himself already but Aubrey's pops was nowhere to be found and miss Sandi continued to bash him.

Aubrey looked uneasy next to me and I placed my hand on his thigh to soothe him. He visibly relaxed but was still on edge. I leaned into him and spoke almost inaudibly, "she doesn't know does she?"

He shook his head no, and just then our hostess returned with a mustached man in a white tuxedo.

Dennis, he was a dark skinned man with a large black mustache that took up most of his face. He looked like one of the pimps from old films. I remember thinking that he was quite short, unlike his son who towered over me.

Mrs. Graham was staring up at Aubrey while the man approached us, and I shifted in my seat, my eyes locked on his.

Stephanie led him to his seat, "the final member of your party is here, I'll get the waiter to take your orders. Y'all must be starving."

"Final memb!?" Sandi's eyes widened when she saw Dennis.

She looked back at Aubrey. "I know you did not invite this hillbilly here, eh?"

"Who you calling a hillbilly?" Mr. Graham asked taking a seat, he looked at Aubrey, "really?"

Aubrey ignored them, standing up and smoothing down his tux. Then he stretched his hand to me and I took it, standing up next to him.

"Pops, this is Amber, my girlfriend." Then he turned to me. "Amber this is my father, Dennis."

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you sir." I smiled, hoping to appeal to the father of the love of my life.

He returned the smile. "Call me Dennis, or pops" he requested.

I agreed to call him pops and sat down as the waiter returned to take our orders. I ordered the simplest thing on the menu which was 'Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo' and some wine. Aubrey ordered a lobster dish and requested a whole bottle of red wine. I wasn't paying attention by the third order and leaned up against Aubrey again. I could tell that my presence soothed him, and I would do anything at that point to make him feel better.