Chapter FortyEight

"He said he came from Jamaica, he owned a couple acres.
Something.. Something fake visa cause he never had his papers.
Gave up on love messing with them heart breakers, but he was getting money with the movers and the shakers.... Blah blah," Genesis sang so loudly in the shower, it distracted me from my thoughts temporarily.

"Please be quiet!" I yelled, hoping that she heard me over her excruciatingly loud singing and the steady stream of water hitting the surface of the tub.

I was still extremely drowsy from sleep and the dream that I had recently had. It was the second time that I was dreaming of the future. Aubrey and I as a family. Us. Together. Family.

The thought of having a family with Aubrey both thrilled and terrified me tremendously. On one hand, I would want to spend the rest of my life with Aubrey, because of the unconditional love we shared. On the other hand, I was terrified of being a parent. I'd have made a horrible mother, due to my naturally cold personality. I would've not been able to comfort my kids in a way that was deemed acceptable, I might spoil them rotten or kill them dead. Raised in a Afro-Caribbean household, whoopings were permitted and I received a good deal, but how would I know when to stop? How would I have known when to quit? Inevitably, Aubrey would've become the better parent.

I tried the names from the dream out. Our son's name was "Auden". I obviously had chosen that name due to my love of poetry, named after W. H Auden, whose poems I spent many of my days analyzing. I wasn't a huge fan of him then, I wondered what had happened to make me change my mind enough to name my own son after him.

"Auden Graham." I stated, making sure to caress each syllable as they were expelled. The names flowed beautifully together, sort of like a short song. I smiled at the name.

Auden was the spitting image of his father, the only difference being that he had inherited my eye color, the only evidence that he was also my son. I had yet to see my baby girl, and I looked forward to dreaming of when I was no longer pregnant.

I spoke her name as well, taking my time to pronounce each letter poetically, "Auburn Graham." This name was not a traditional girls name and I loved it. The color reddish brown was what it meant, however it seemed to hold a different meaning as well. It was the only way Aubrey and I could combine our names to make it sound good. Much like my name which had this exact double meaning. "Amber", the color and "Amber" the combination of my parents names. It meant something, that even in my dream I continued a family tradition.

I smiled at the realization. But it still didn't sway my views. I didn't any children.

Genesis entered the room, her towel wrapped tightly around her bust. "What are you smiling for?"

I shook my head vigorously, knocking myself out of my reverie.

"Fine. Don't tell me then." She dropped her towel to the floor revealing her naked body to me.

"Yo, I need to get my own room." I mentioned.

"Ha ha.." Genesis replied, rubbing lotion on her slender arms. "I'll leave by the start of summer so don't worry your little head."

I had meant my snide comment as a joke, I didn't actually want to be back in my empty room.

Living with Genesis definitely helped with my coldness, and meeting Aubrey revealed to me that I no longer wanted to sleep alone. Ever.