Chapter Forty

I settled on a blood red knee length dress, ironic given the circumstances. The silky fabric hugged my curves and the turtle neck gave the impression that the dress was more conservative than it actually was. I wore black pumps, and moved my necklace to the outside, where it could be seen. I liked this outfit the best out of the three I tried on.

Light thudding sounds were being made on the other side of the door from Aubrey banging his head repeatedly against the wood. I laughed lightly at his behavior.

"Amber..." He whined. I usually didn't take that long to get ready to go anywhere, but today I had to make a good impression on Aubrey's father. I had a feeling he'd be a tough nut to crack.

Aubrey was dressed formally, and for the first time he wasn't wearing timbs or Jay's. I pushed him out of the room once he was dressed and he'd been banging his head on the door ever since.

"I'm coming out," I yelled, frightening poor Trixee who was digging in to a fresh bowl of dog food.

Opening the door, I was greeted by a smiling Aubrey.

"What do you think?" I questioned, apprehensively.

Aubrey's eyes went wide, his pupils dilating.

"I think that if we didn't have to leave right now. I'd take you back to that bed over there and you wouldn't be able to walk for weeks." He stated, licking his lips.

His words turned on the faucet between my legs. My hormones getting the best of me.

"What else would you do?" I pushed, stalking gracefully toward Aubrey, or as gracefully as I could.

It was his turn to look appalled, but he kept his cool and his eyes locked on me.

His phone vibrated in the pocket of his dress pants, reminding me that I hadn't checked mine since I spoke to Justin. "Let's go." He stated ceasing our little game of cat and mouse.

I grabbed my clutch, which held my phone, keys and money and traversed to the door.

Trixee complained from the closed bedroom door and I had to fight the urge to take her with me.

"I don't want to leave her alone." I said, as Aubrey and I wandered into the lobby, hand in hand. He draped his heavy jacket over my shoulders and I wrapped myself in his scent.

"She's gonna have to learn to be without us for a little bit." Aubrey explained, turning to face me.

I nodded still feeling extremely conflicted.

"I don't have my keys to the house." He said as we got into the car.

"It's okay. I've got mine," I disclosed, rummaging through my black and gold clutch purse to retrieve the key chain.

Noticing the little keychain frame, he snagged it from me. "Where did you even get this picture."

"I found it, somewhere." I retorted, snatching the keychain from him.

He pulled out of the parking lot into the street, taking random glimpses at me through his side eye while I responded to my frantic mothers texts.

I quivered slightly when I felt his hand on my thigh.

"You look really perfect tonight baby" he acclaimed.